How long to erect fence?

How long to erect fence?

Postby Franczola » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:46 pm

Hi all.

In Short...my neighbour took down his fence (yes, his fence) in October last year that divides our back gardens. The fence has not yet been finished, is there any time scale that a fence has to be re-erected as I think I heard via this forum a while ago that there was a 6 month rule?
In order for him to finish it requires him to access our garden, and we have asked that he finishes the fence ASAP. He has not responded or told us if/when he intends to access our land to do so.

Any ideas.
Ta.
Franczola

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:16 pm

I presume your neighbours removing of the fence is linked to the building work he wants to do 30 cm from the boundary

He must serve a Party Wall Act notice on you

You are entitled to disagree with it and your neighbour is required to pay for 2 surveyors to agree on proper terms for the building etc

Be very very firm about what you want and why ............

Also check your deeds and those of your neighbour .......copies are £4 from Land Registry website
There may be a clause requiring him to maintain at all times a fence between you

Also check all your insurance policies, credit cards etc see if you have legal expenses insurance tacked on

Its possible this could be very useful
despair

Postby Franczola » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:50 pm

Thanks for the advise.

I know that my neighbour must serve a party wall notice, this way we would be able to make sure that he completed the fence and all the other outstanding work that effects our property within a certain time scale.

But the fact of the matter is that he didnt. And we have no comeback (see Boundary topic, author Oggi)

Is there no way that we can require him to complete within a certain time, outside of the Party Wall Act bindings?
Franczola

Postby Franczola » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:34 pm

PS..£4 for deeds from Land Registry website? Cheapest I can find is £20. What/Where do I need to look?
Franczola

Postby Angelisle » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:23 pm

Land Registry online £2 for title and £2 for plans = £4

www.landregisteronline.gov.uk
Angelisle

Postby Franczola » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:11 am

Well yes, I know that £2+£2=£4 but what am I looking for? Title deeds is the closest thing that describes what I need, bu these are advertised as £20.
Franczola

Postby Angelisle » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:25 am

The details below appear on the Land Registry Website when you click on the link supplied in the above posting.

Land Register Online provides easy access to details of more than 19 million registered properties in England and Wales. Copies of title plans and registers held in electronic format can be downloaded in PDF format for £2 each.
The title register includes ownership details and, for most properties which have changed hands since April 2000, the property price information. We are unable to provide details of any properties that are not registered.
When can I obtain it?
A Property enquiry can be made daily between 7am and 12 midnight, Monday to Saturday. This is to allow downtime for maintenance and further development. You can browse at any time but enquiries can’t currently be placed outside these hours.
How much does it cost?

* £2 for each title register (details of each property).
* £2 for each title plan (a plan of the property).

These fees are payable online, using your credit/debit card over a secure link.

The above clearly states that title register (details of property) only £2 per pdf download. If you are having problems with the information on their website contact the Land Registry Customer Services.
Good Luck
Amanda
Angelisle

Postby Franczola » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:23 am

Ok thanks, have now found what I needed.

The title deeds do state that my neighbour must maintain all boundaries around his land. He is not doing so, as we have been without a fence now for 6 months.

How do I use this to ensure he finishes the fence? Do I go through my surveyor, solicitor, the local authority?
And again, is there any compulsory requirement that he actually does this now, and within a certain time scale?

Thanks.

Franc'
Franczola

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences