Fence Boundaries - To Move or Not To Move

Fence Boundaries - To Move or Not To Move

Postby Seznomes » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:11 pm

We have just moved to our current house about 6 months ago. As the weather is starting to improve we have been thinking about the garden (as you do) and the fence on one side of our property is about 1 metre from the road and we would like to move it out to give us more room. In our deeds it is our land but we are not sure if we are allowed to move it as it is a corner fence and would inhibite a neighbours ability to see traffic if he was pulling out of his driveway (he lives in a quiet cul-de-sac). Anyone have any suggestions as we don't want to cause any problems with neighbours but with two young children need as big a garden as possible.
Seznomes

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Cytania » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:33 pm

So long as your fence does not exceed 1 metre in height you should have no worries about your neighbours sightlines. In general sightlines are not enshrined in law and their enforcement patchy to non-existent.

Having said this I would deeply question why you are so sure you own this 1 metre strip of land. Remember deed plans are subject to variations (often out by 8 inches even before solicitor's photocopiers warp them). Is there something that clearly shows where the pavement should end (I have a row of yellow bricks).

Consider claiming that metre strip not by moving the fence but by planting a low hedge. Lavender is an excellent choice. It looks and smells nice, grows quickly even in poor soils and only dog pee kills it.

As you can tell I've done this myself. Maybe at some future point the council will haggle over where the pavement should be and I'll just trim them back to whatever line they stipulate. Until then the lavender bushes mark my ownership and stop kids hanging around. :-)
They cut down all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum and charged all the people just to see 'em
Cytania

Postby Kanga » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:38 pm

Hi Seznomes contact the Highways and see if there has been any problems in the past seems a bit strange that the hedging or fence was never put up against the road in the first place.
Kanga

Postby Beech » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:19 am

There may be planning conditions that stipulate that any fence has to be set back that distance. Is it a fairly new house?
Beech

Postby Seznomes » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:53 pm

Hi there, no the house is about 40 years old. The only reason would be the a water main runs along the edge of the property and we need to leave access should anything happen, but we are thinking of putting fences on hinges that can bolt in so can be removed if necessary for access. Most of the area where we live has this in their deeds as I have asked a couple of people we know but looking around 60% have moved out there fences to the edge of their boundaries, but I am just a little worried to upset neighbours etc
Seznomes

Return to Fences