shared boundary fence

shared boundary fence

Postby shirlywirly60 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:08 pm

our neighbours have a lap larch fence which they paid for.it is one of those that has the panels which slide out of a concrete frame.last week they took the panels out and painted our side BLUE! before replacing them with a triumphant flourish.their side remains the original brown,which it used to be on our side also.when we complained he said it was his effing fence and he could do what he wanted.can we return it to it's original colour legally?would be grateful for any help,thank you
shirlywirly60

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: shared boundary fence

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:10 pm

shirlywirly60 wrote:our neighbours have a lap larch fence which they paid for.it is one of those that has the panels which slide out of a concrete frame.last week they took the panels out and painted our side BLUE! before replacing them with a triumphant flourish.their side remains the original brown,which it used to be on our side also.when we complained he said it was his effing fence and he could do what he wanted.can we return it to it's original colour legally?would be grateful for any help,thank you

It is their fence, they can paint it which ever colour they choose.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby shirlywirly60 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:18 pm

if they wanted it blue why is it not blue on their side ?we have had 10 years of harrassment from them and loud music played through our walls,which is the one thing they have been caught doing by the authorities.they are not nice people and they have done so much more,before you judge ,walk a mile in another man's shoes
shirlywirly60

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:24 pm

shirlywirly60 wrote:if they wanted it blue why is it not blue on their side ?we have had 10 years of harrassment from them and loud music played through our walls,which is the one thing they have been caught doing by the authorities.they are not nice people and they have done so much more,before you judge ,walk a mile in another man's shoes

Hi shirlywirly60, I'm not judging you I promise. My answer was just short and to the point, I apologise if you are feeling upset over this and I haven't seemed sympathetic.

All I can suggest is that you try to overlook petty things like the fence colour because if they do this to be annoying they want reaction.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby mr sheen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:31 pm

You do have the option to put a fence up on your side to hide the blue colour
mr sheen

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:33 pm

mr sheen wrote:You do have the option to put a fence up on your side to hide the blue colour

Perfect idea. Then they have wasted their time, effort and money on you and you have a nice fence you like the look of.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:34 pm

If you planted some shrubs in front of the fence you wouldn't be able to see the colour. It's surprising how fast they grow if you feed them and water them well.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby arborlad » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:15 pm

mr sheen wrote:You do have the option to put a fence up on your side to hide the blue colour

It is an option, but not a very good one.

If you have two fences, only one will be correct, which means the other must be wrong, with 'sods law' being what it is, the right one will be removed, leaving the wrong one to become the right one - with consequent loss of land.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:34 pm

If there is the option to plant in front of the fence then that too is a good idea. Tall bamboo poles and wire or fishing line strung between them is great for growing climbing plants up, kind of like a spiders web for the plants to creep up. :)

It doesn’t have to be a fence in front of another fence, it could be something as cheap as brushwood/reed/willow screening attached to posts, just to hide what you don’t want to see. http://spruceupyourdeck.co.uk/catalog/index.php This link shows a few ideas. Artificial hedging, bamboo screening, sails etc…

The easiest way to disguise something you don’t want to look at though would be to grow climbing plants supported by your own trellis or makeshift structure like poles and string. It is cheap and fun to do and most importantly will look absolutely beautiful and smell beautiful with the right flowering climbers. http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/garden/climbers.htm
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Sudynim » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:23 pm

shirlywirly60 wrote:if they wanted it blue why is it not blue on their side ?we have had 10 years of harrassment from them and loud music played through our walls,which is the one thing they have been caught doing by the authorities.they are not nice people and they have done so much more,before you judge ,walk a mile in another man's shoes

It has nothing to do with judging, it's simply the law. You have no right to dictate to them how they paint their property.

If you can live with the potential loss of a few inches of land, build your own fence tightly against theirs, and paint it how you want it.
Sudynim

Postby robj191269 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:10 am

try the reverse psychology trick with the neighbours...

"the blue that you have painted the fence has really grown on me ....any chance of you painting the front fence the same colour/have you any left so i can paint the rest of my fence panels"
robj191269

Postby despair » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:48 am

The thread title is "shared boundary fence " it seem this OP like so many others fails to understand the true meaning of shared

Clearly the neighbour paid for the fence and it seems its their boundary responsibility ..............thus the OP has absolutely no say in what the neighbour does

Of course in an ideal world their would be consideration and compromise however it seems that here the neighbour is trying to make a point ...............exactly what or why we have yet to find out
despair

Postby shirlywirly60 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:28 pm

thank you for all your replies .i have taken legal advice and as it is a party fence on a shared boundary,these people have no right to paint our side ,even though they paid for and erected the fence.if they move it away from the boundary,they can do what they want with it.it will now be repainted by our son and if they touch it again they will be damaging our property. hope this helps anyone else with nasty,spiteful neighbours,sometimes,the underdog does come out on top!!
shirlywirly60

Postby despair » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Glad you now know the exact definition of the fence ..........that it is truly a Party Fence which of course means all decisions must be mutually agreed

Whatever you do be very very careful when painting the fence that nothing can drip through their side
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:30 am

shirlywirly60 wrote:thank you for all your replies .i have taken legal advice and as it is a party fence on a shared boundary,these people have no right to paint our side ,even though they paid for and erected the fence.if they move it away from the boundary,they can do what they want with it.it will now be repainted by our son and if they touch it again they will be damaging our property. hope this helps anyone else with nasty,spiteful neighbours,sometimes,the underdog does come out on top!!

Well I hope it ends there for you shirlywirly60, they have wasted some time, energy and money being silly and now they will feel the disappointment of it being very short lived. :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Hedges