£2000 fine for not cutting hedge

£2000 fine for not cutting hedge

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:09 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -Asbo.html

It does seem a bit extreme to give a person an ASBO and fine them thousands of pounds over a hedge. The couple didn't seem to know they were facing this fine or they buried their heads in the sand? I feel sorry for them in one way but can't understand why they didn't reduce the hedge to the height they were told to in the first place. :?
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Sounds like an awful lot of excuses on behalf of the Hedge grower to me and send a warning to all high hedge growers that neighbours on the other side have rights too
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:58 pm

I agree that an almost 20ft wall of Leylandii is going to overshadow a smaller garden, the suggested 13ft was quite reasonable, I'm not sure why they didn't cut the hedge. It would have been easier for them to maintain at a lower height anyway.

I don't know if they avoided cutting it because they didn't want to or they are being honest when they say they thought there wasn't a problem anymore? I still feel a little sorry for them as people get away with terrible crimes against others and don't get this sort of fine or an ASBO for that matter.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:15 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: I still feel a little sorry for them as people get away with terrible crimes against others and don't get this sort of fine or an ASBO for that matter.

I agree. There are a lot worse crimes than having a high hedge. Maybe the hedge should have got the ASBO. I can just picture it running riot in the garden wearing a hoodie. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:48 pm

appledore wrote:I agree. There are a lot worse crimes than having a high hedge. Maybe the hedge should have got the ASBO. I can just picture it running riot in the garden wearing a hoodie. :)

:lol: Teeheeee and kicking a ball and swearing too!

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/dec20 ... 256290.jpg That couple should have disguised the hedge, instead of a pudding it could have been a éclair...mmmm :wink: :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:55 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote::lol: Teeheeee and kicking a ball and swearing too!

:

Don't forget the trampoline. :lol:

I think I'll decorate our hedge like that at Christmas. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:58 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote::lol: Teeheeee and kicking a ball and swearing too!

:

Don't forget the trampoline. :lol:

I think I'll decorate our hedge like that at Christmas. :lol:

The trampoline is a good idea...how could they measure the height of the hedge when it is bouncing up and down? :lol:

Aw apples you must do a pudding hedge for christmas, it'll be sooo cute. :D :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:00 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Aw apples you must do a pudding hedge for christmas, it'll be sooo cute. :D :lol:

I think I'll make a christmas pudding as big as that. I love christmas pud. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:04 pm

appledore wrote:I think I'll make a christmas pudding as big as that. I love christmas pud. :)

Hubby loves Christmas pud, I usually have chocolate cake instead. :mrgreen: Leylandiipud could be different though, i'll give it a try! :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby TO » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi

I doubt very much the hedge owning couple were given ASBO's. Its a common misconception that ASBO's can be served on nuisance hedge owners for their hedges, they can't. That the high hedge legislation is bundled with the rest of the Anti-social behaviour Act 2003 is just coincidence, it just happened to be a suitable bit of legislation going through Parliament at the time the Government were looking to bring in legislation on high hedges, and so they tacked it on.

I suspect that they have been prosecuted for failing to comply with the Remedial Notice, and will face further prosecution and possibly a daily fine if they continue to fail to comply.

The excuse that the Council hasn't told them/been in touch/not responded is one of a couple of tactics used by many who think that if they ignore or pretend that the Council don't exist then they will just disappear. The other is repeated vexatious formal complaints with threats of taking the Officers/Council to Court/Ombudsman.

Anyway well done Wychavon, and for once well done to the Magistrates, if only those that I have to deal with were as robust.

TO
TO

Re: £2000 fine for not cutting hedge

Postby Sudynim » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:28 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7963957/Couple-fined-2000-after-breaching-hedge-Asbo.html

It does seem a bit extreme to give a person an ASBO and fine them thousands of pounds over a hedge.

I disagree - an asbo requires very considerable evidence of anti-social & troublemaking behaviour to be proven, in a court with lawyers advising all parties. When a court makes an asbo the terms and prohibitions are read out to the subject, and they are told plainly what they must not do.

It defies belief that an educated and capable businessman advised by his own lawyers could misunderstand his obligations. The council spokesperson seems to be saying that he knows exactly what he's doing.
Sudynim

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Sudynim wrote:It defies belief that an educated and capable businessman advised by his own lawyers could misunderstand his obligations. The council spokesperson seems to be saying that he knows exactly what he's doing.

It does seem ridiculous doesn't it? It will send the message that burying ones head in the sand hoping for things to go away won’t always work. A high price to pay but it seems like he could have avoided it.

I wonder why they wanted their hedge to be so high? The maximum height given for their hedge was 13ft, that does seem reasonable. You just wonder if they were thinking they could save the money on hedge cutting but have now had to pay more in fines. I bet they said "oh my whoops a daisy!!!!" when they received the fine. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:12 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[ I bet they said "oh my whoops a daisy!!!!" when they received the fine. :lol:

Or 'Oh golly gosh. Never mind, these things are sent to try us'. :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:16 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[ I bet they said "oh my whoops a daisy!!!!" when they received the fine. :lol:

Or 'Oh golly gosh. Never mind, these things are sent to try us'. :lol: :lol:

:lol: I almost typed golly gosh...does anyone say that anymore? :lol:

He probably added to golly gosh daisies of whoopsie...ooh deary me...pardons of poopdom...fum...oh trifles...snipdypoodlewobbles. :oops:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:27 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[Or 'Oh golly gosh. Never mind, these things are sent to try us'. :lol: :lol:

:lol: I almost typed golly gosh...does anyone say that anymore? :lol:

I do! Spiffing isn't it? :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Hedges