Accurate hedge height measurement.

Postby despair » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:59 pm

So far it seems the HH Legislation has failed Knight Rider when it comes to these monsters
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Treeman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:50 pm

despair wrote:So far it seems the HH Legislation has failed Knight Rider when it comes to these monsters

How can it have failed? It performs the function it was draughted to do.

What you mean is it hasn’t had the effect you wanted in this case, there are two possibilities, either someone made a cock of the first application and appeal (hardly a case of the legislation failing) or the hedge doesn’t need any cutting to meet the AH height.

Since the application is going in a second time I suspect the former.

Your prejudices are showing (YET) again.
Treeman

Postby despair » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Just how many people would want that hedge as a neighbour

thats the whole point of the HH legislation
despair

Postby Treeman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:37 pm

despair wrote:Just how many people would want that hedge as a neighbour

thats the whole point of the HH legislation

You are confusing what the legislation is designed to deal with and the panacea your prejudice’s would like to see.

The HH legislation is not the personal tool of the “affected” it is there to protect both parties not simply provide relief as you would like it to.

Whether you like it or not people are entitled to own a hedge. The HH legislation is simply a means of controlling the height.

For every one you see with a problem hedge I can see someone on the other side screening out an eyesore or a nosey/nasty/problem neighbour.
Treeman

Postby Knight Rider » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Now Now, chill out the pair of you. !!

Anyway, as said what does it matter what they are. The point is the council put an action hedge height on this of 10.8m. I am assuming they are roughly around 14m now, (2 years since the appeal) - So in my eyes the Law as it stands now favours me and not the grower.

This hedge serves no purpose other than blocking all my light. It is at the bottom of his garden, privacy is not an issue.

Oh, did I forget to say, the grower is a member of the local council !!!!!!

Going back to the appeal, we went through this with a member of hedgeline, but the hedge was apparently measured at approx 10m at the time. So thats maybe why it was dismissed.

What annoys me is the fact I have now got to pay a fee again to resubmit, even though all the legwork was done in the original complaint. Why could the appeal inspector not say that once over the AHH then something must be done.

This garbage law definately favours all hedge growers and not the people they affect.
Knight Rider

Postby despair » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:05 pm

Could not agree more Knight Rider
despair

Postby arborlad » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Knight Rider wrote:[I am sure it is leylandii,
:?

You're the one that is nearest to it, but..........it seems fairly clear it has had no work done on the top, but has it had any work on the sides?

If not, if that were Leylandii, you wouldnt be able to see the sun - not even a glimpse - it would be a lot wider and denser.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Knight Rider » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:10 pm

I dont really care what it is, it's just a nuisance and needs something doing with it. I have not seen him do anything to it the last 8 years or so I have been here.
Knight Rider

Postby despair » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:00 pm

So is he growing them out of spite or because he has so much land it makes no odds to him or what
despair

Postby Knight Rider » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:14 pm

A bit of both really, his property is approx 50-75yrd to the left of this hedge. It borders his other neighbour to the south but only the neighbours garden of which is around 1 acre.
I think he planted it then decided to just let it go. There are around 40 individual leylandii planted. This is it as seen from the entrance of the cul de sac, the hedge is south facing these propertys and the shadows cast in winter virtually cover the entire cul de sac.
Knight Rider

Postby Treeman » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:59 pm

despair wrote:So is he growing them out of spite or because he has so much land it makes no odds to him or what

You are always willing to see the worst in people, and judge them. Your glass is truly half empty.

Rather than growing them out of spite perhaps he is growing them to block out a pretty ugly “new build” development.

What you constantly fail to appreciate is that people are entitled to screen out that which they do not like.
Treeman

Postby Knight Rider » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Yeah, he probably thought that when he planted them 18yrs ago, it was to block out the new housing estate that was due to be built in 2010.

Believe me, they do not block anything, i think he just fell out with the other neighbour behind the hedge and just let them go. They are a complete and utter eyesore, they will be dealt with no matter what it takes and I hope the grower gets whats coming to him.
Knight Rider

Postby despair » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:49 pm

sure as hell not attractive
despair

Postby Conveyancer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:56 pm

Knight Rider wrote:This garbage law definately favours all hedge growers and not the people they affect.

So what should the law be then?

Judging by comments on the case of the couple who were fined for not cutting back their hedge, one half think that the law is an oppressive piece of New Labour legislation which set out to control the right of every Englishman to do want he wants in his own garden and the other half think it does not go nearly far enough. Difficult to please everyone I think on this issue.
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.
Conveyancer

Postby Clifford Pope » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:30 pm

Compare the trees' shadow length with something of a known height.
Clifford Pope

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Hedges