Can a neighbour destroy old hedge on his side of boundary?

Can a neighbour destroy old hedge on his side of boundary?

Postby JDub » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:25 pm

Our neighbour has recently threatened to rip up the hedge that is on his side of the boundary between our back garden and his orchard "because he can". The hedge has been there since we moved in 12 years ago and it was mature then so I guess 20+ years. It is all on his side of the boundary. We have been trimming it over the years and have gone onto his land to trim his side as well. When we moved in it was about 4ft high and it is now about 9ft and provides us a lot of privacy not least from the new property he built on the far side of the orchard.

Is there anything we can do to stop him; he is unlikely to listen to a request and when he said this to another neighbour and they asked why, the answer was because he can and it is on his land? In addition he has recently been extending his garden into his orchard and has started building a garage there (the planning department have been informed).
JDub

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:37 pm

I guess he is annoyed because his garage building has been reported but since he is not allowed to build on his orchard if its Agricultural Land then planning will most likely sort him out

Lots of neighbour disputes arise out of a very legimate complaint or objection to a planning issue

As the hedge is his side of the boundary he can do as he likes

so i suggest you install a 6ft 6in high fence tight up to the boundary now and regain your privacy and plant your choice of shrubs or hedging which of course he cant touch or have control over save for cutting back overhang to the boundary
despair

Postby TO » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi

The Hedgerow Regulations 1997 are about your only hope, but from what you say I doubt they will be much use.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1997/19971160.htm#2

Other legislation on protected species may prevent removal at certain times of year e.g. during the bird nesting season.

Otherwise plant your own native hedge on your land.

TO
TO

Return to Hedges