Hedge planting on corner property

Hedge planting on corner property

Postby Dirtypotato » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:30 pm

We are on a corner and all we have between us and the road is a pavement. I want to put a hedge in and do not want to restrict road users view. We moved in in Feb and immediately cut down the conifers which everyone near to us has said looks alot better. I want to know are there any restrictions to what i do. Have I got to plant the hedge a minimal distance from the pavement and is there a height limit? I have tried looking around but theres never a suitable hedge when you want one!
Thanks
Dirtypotato

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:04 pm

The crazy thing is that fences near pavements are restricted to 1 metre high yet you can grow a hedge to dizzy heights

why not choose one or several of the range of Euonymous varigated small leaved shrubs because they take very little maintenance yet stay evergreen and look good all year long and cope with all climates and even poor soil
despair

Postby Dirtypotato » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:24 pm

I have now looked at my deeds and it says I cannot erect any wall fence hedge or gate past the building line. What is the building line as my house as had 2 extensions since being built by previous owners. Also there was a line of conifers in line with the front door to the front path prior to us moving in which we chopped down. These were over 6ft. Surely if these were here I should not have a problem with a hedge or have they gotten around it by planting trees?
Dirtypotato

Postby Dirtypotato » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:26 pm

The deeds were dated 1961
Dirtypotato

Postby ukmicky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:50 pm

Do the other houses have the same covenant and have they broken its terms. If so them it would be hard to enforce it against you.

Is the house builder still around. Normally the developer is the one who will need to enforce it if they are still around. If there not then their may no one around who can enforce it.

Was the development registered as a building scheme ,if so it will allow your neighbours to enforce.

Normally if you breech a covenant , removal of the breech is enough if you get a complaint from the person who has the right to enforce it. Damages could be payable but if it is removed they should be small.

Its up to you as to whether you wish to take the chance or not.

The hedge has nothing by the way to do with planning laws or the council if its a covenant.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby Dirtypotato » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:01 am

I have google earthed it and walked the streets and they all seem to be in order. It looks like people have planted conifers and then shaped them into hedges.I just want a low maintenance hedge. But thanks for your comments. I am tempted to risk it
Dirtypotato

Postby despair » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:12 am

Do enjoy the upkeep of conifers !
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges