Neighbours want me to cut my hedge down 20"

Neighbours want me to cut my hedge down 20"

Postby leylandii » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:51 pm

hi - i live in a semi detached bungalow.
my neighbour & i have a similar main front garden hedge except that mine is approx. 20" higher than theirs for reason of a little privacy.

recently they approached me and demanded that i cut my hedge down to the level of theirs - i am not the type to deliberately cause annoyance but feel that this is an unreasonable demand.

my hedge is 6' high.

anyone had similar, advise or comment?
leylandii

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:31 am

Only if your hedge fell foul of the High Hedge Law (which by no way could it ) could they even ask for a reduction

Your hedge is 6ft high so tell them to stick their request where the sun does not shine
despair

Postby Mattylad » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:39 am

Tell them that you insist that they grow theirs 6" higher instead!

Offer to let them know where they can get some manure :D
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.
Mattylad

Postby leylandii » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:24 am

cheers for your replies/advice

i've been living beside them for over 16 years & never complained about anything - even when i do some diy i knock their door & apologize for any noise.

another point when we were living in our bungalow for about 18 months the hedge was about 3" higher than theirs however one day when i came home from work they had trimmed it down.

should i write a letter simply stating they should contact the council or alternatively be more explicit regarding my feelings in the matter?
leylandii

Postby despair » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:44 am

Simply tell them that you are legally entitled to grow a hedge and that even the High Hedge Law cannot be used unless the hedge is way over 6ft6in high and even then would have to fulfill very strict criteria before any council would even consider a complaint so since you can legally install a fence to 6ft6in high any more complaints and thats exactly what you will do
despair

Postby Treeman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Tell them nothing about shoving things where the sun doesn’t shine. That’s just going to needlessly inflame the situation and make you look bitter and twisted.

Inform them (in writing) you like it as it is and if they think they have any rights they can exercise over how you keep your hedge, they should get on with exercising them.

You might want to remind them that they can’t cut the height without your consent and any repetition of previous efforts will be met with legal proceedings.
Treeman

Re: Neighbours want me to cut my hedge down 20"

Postby arborlad » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:01 pm

leylandii wrote:hi - i live in a semi detached bungalow.
my neighbour & i have a similar main front garden hedge except that mine is approx. 20" higher than theirs for reason of a little privacy.

recently they approached me and demanded that i cut my hedge down to the level of theirs - i am not the type to deliberately cause annoyance but feel that this is an unreasonable demand.

my hedge is 6' high.

Is this two individual hedges, with a gap between?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby katee » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Good question arborlad.

Leylandii,
Is the hedge in question running between your neighbours and your garden, or, your individual hedges to the front of your gardens ??? :?
katee

Re: Neighbours want me to cut my hedge down 20"

Postby Sudynim » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:58 pm

leylandii wrote:hi - i live in a semi detached bungalow.

my hedge is 6' high.

You don't have to do as they ask, just politely say you like it as it is.
Sudynim

Postby leylandii » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:30 pm

katee wrote:Good question arborlad.

Leylandii,
Is the hedge in question running between your neighbours and your garden, or, your individual hedges to the front of your gardens ??? :?

the hedges run along the front walls of each garden - if they were both at the same height then it would look like one hedge - however there is a 3' dividing fence at right angles to & between the hedges ie dividing the gardens house per house
leylandii

Postby despair » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:06 pm

So if its a front hedge how does it affect them and why do they think they can tell you what to do with it
despair

Postby leylandii » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:04 pm

despair wrote:So if its a front hedge how does it affect them and why do they think they can tell you what to do with it

this is what i'm trying to figure out - they use the driveway gate pillar as the reference height for their hedge - if the pillar was 12" higher then i guess the hedge would be also.

the fact is that it does affect them because my hedge is higher & not exactly level with theirs & they can't live with it.
leylandii

Postby Rowan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Oh dear, sounds rather related to some form of OCD by them :( - how sad!

Do they really want everybody in the road to have their hedges at the same height as their's ?? - because that's the level THEY have decided is right!!!

Your hedge - your decision as to what height YOU want it at - write to them stating that you are very happy with the height of your hedge and see no reason to alter it - I would also add (given your comment about them previously cutting your hedge height) that you do NOT (under any circumstances) permit them to cut your hedge at any time - send it by recorded delivery, and get a copy of the receipt from Royal Mail

Keep a copy of the letter with dated photos showing a measuring tape with the hedge height clearly marked

For the future don't knock on their door to apologise for DIY noise - it is something we all do at various times - part of normal living :lol:
Rowan

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:34 pm

I agree with rowan, send a letter via recorded delivery stating that you do not want them to touch your hedge. OCD in the ridiculous. If all they have to worry about is the height of a hedge, they will have a shock if someone they know was murdered or lightening struck their house. :shock:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges