Destruction of very old hedge

Destruction of very old hedge

Postby Pennyfarthing » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Have just been watching a lovely old thick hedge being destroyed.
It runs between a private house and a church yard.
It seems that nobody is sure who the hedge belongs to and the vicar has got a couple of men to trim it right back. The woman who lives in the house has also been out and asked them to trim her side too.

Well trim back they certainly have! I've never seen anything like it. It was really thick, now you can see right through it. They must have cut 10ft at least off the top. It's a mixture of shrubs/trees and some of the trunks they have cut off must be a couple of feet in circumference.

I think it's a very old hedge as it's on the church boundary and the house is hundreds of years old too.

Is there any way I can check if this is allowed please? I have seen no notices about it but it looks terrible.
Pennyfarthing

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby victor508 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:00 pm

Look at it in a years time and it will be a beautiful hedge.

Farmers do it regular.

Unlike leylandi cut it to much and it is bald for years if not forever.

Victor.
victor508

Postby Pennyfarthing » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:35 pm

I hope you're right Victor!

This isn't really like any hedge I've seen around a field though (or which a farmer would cut) It was incredibly thick and dense. I have not seen through it for the 20 years I've lived here but now I can.

I guess at least 8-10ft thick and probably 20ft high. It didn't block anybody's light or get in anybody's way either. Still it's too late now!
Pennyfarthing

Postby w3526602 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:54 am

Hi,

Probably talking through my "zorst", but never mind ......

Could this have been a YEW hedge? Yew was used to make bows (of the arrow type) in Days of Yore. Possibly there was a Royal decree saying that Yew trees must be grown. ??? Yew is poisonous to horses, and presumably other animals too. So it was grown in church yards, where animals were not allowed to graze.

OT, but similarly .... Henry 8th wanted big horses for his army, so he decreed that all small horses were to be slaughtered. (Many escaped into the Welsh mountains). Elizabeth repealed that law. Which is why you get lots of horses called Bess, but very few called Harry. Sorry about that.

602 (That was my "last three")
w3526602

Return to Hedges