Neighbour has killed my hedge

Neighbour has killed my hedge

Postby sdd56 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi - I have (or had) a nice escallonia hedge in my back garden, bordering onto 2 properties behind me. The hedge is planted on my property (there is a low block wall defining the borders of all the properties in the area).

The hedge is about 8 feet high on my side, and about 6 feet high on the neighbours side (there is a step change in height between the gardens). In a growing season the hedge can put on a foot or two of new growth between cuts.

Last year one of the neighbours, while I was out, cut about 2 foot off the height. I was a bit annoyed but didn't make it an issue, as I thought it would soon grow back.

This year I was a bit puzzled as there didn't seem to be any new growth. I now see that what few leaves remain on my side are stunted and yellowing, with very little new healthy growth. On the neighbours side there are no leaves at all. This hedge would usually have a dense covering of leaves.

The smaller part of the same hedge, bordering the other neighbour, is normal - lots of growth and healthy leaves.

I believe that the first neighbour has sprayed the hedge with weedkiller.

I was unsure about what height a hedge should be until I read this forum, and found the action hedge height calculation form. Filling in the figures, it gives a max permissible height of about 4.5 metres, so I am way below the max.

I suspect that the neighbour is under the impression that 2 metres is the max allowed for a hedge.

Is there anything I can do about this - bearing in mind that it would be difficult to prove that he has sprayed it. Also I may possibly need to move in the next year or two, so I don't really want a formal dispute lodged, which I would then have to divulge to a prospective buyer.

I am however very angry about this damage and am reluctant to let him get away with it.

I am tempted to replace the existing hedge with a nice gold leylandii and grow it to about 10 foot, but (a) that would involve lots of hard work and expense and (b) he would probably spray it again.

Any suggestions welcomed.
sdd56

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby mr sheen » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi sdd56
'I believe...' - is not enough for a claim against someone - you need proof. Plants die due to all sorts of reasons - the summer has been particularly dry in regions following a very cold winter.

Although it may be difficult to see through your anger at the moment, be careful how you go forward if you need to sell your house in the foreseeable future, as you indicate. Concentrate on the outcome you want - a smooth sale where the neighbours appear pleasant and do not cause problems.

Prospective buyers will be wary of a property where rumour and speculation are rife that the neighbours are a problem. Any prospective buyer who seeks advice here, is likely to be advised to 'walk away' from problem neighbours.

Any formal correspondence relating to the matter will initiate a 'dispute' that has to be declared in a sale. Making an allegation against someone will seriously rattle their cage, especially if they didn't do it, and this often escalates a minor problem out of all proportion.

In view of all of your plans to sell and the lack of proof, doing nothing (and concentrating on positive preparations to move) is likely to benefit you the most.
mr sheen

Postby Sadgardener2 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:04 pm

It is sad about your plants.
But a nice fence might be just the ticket for this position in your garden.
Sadgardener2

Re: Neighbour has killed my hedge

Postby lauren55 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Sounds like that'd annoy anyone
lauren55

Postby DavidM » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:34 pm

All things considered I think you should just accept what has happened just to sell your property as things could be made alot worse by you complaining to this neighbour.

Although i completely agreee with you, try & put your feelings aside & concentrate on selling up.

IF you were staying however, I would say something to them (nicely) but as your not, move on
[url=http://www.gardenfurnituresets.net/]garden furniture sets[/url]
DavidM

Postby gripodkin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:55 am

Also, could be a fungus, maybe leaf spot?

Some info here:

http://inishindiegardenmatters.blogspot ... blems.html

G.
gripodkin

Return to Hedges