Large windows overlooking lounge and bedroom

Re: Large windows overlooking lounge and bedroom

Postby pilman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:45 pm

For the benefit of TO, if you you go on the web-site mentioned and read the Statutory Instrument, it would appear that until 50% of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse is covered in buildings, the various back, side and loft extensions can follow on from each other, as can erecting sheds and garages in the garden.

That appears to be the statutory legislation that allows these permitted development rights to be exercised.

Prior to 2008 there was a limit set by legislation but that was removed by the 2008 amendment.
There is now no limit mentioned other than 50% coverage or height and distance limits.

If someone converts the loft this year, they can erect a rear extension next year, a side extension the year after and erect a porch when they can afford that as well.
Building a new garage, or putting in a swimming pool, or tennis court if there is enough room is also allowed until the 50% limit is reached.

I would like to point out that I am not trying to provoke an argument, but your interpretation is not one found amongst the planning officers who use a web-site hosted by a planning officer called Steve Speed that discusses the effect of the 2008 amendment.
http://www.planningjungle.com
pilman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby TO » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi pilman

There is no argument to be had. You're wrong I'm right it's that simple.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permis ... conversion

TO
TO

Postby pilman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:22 pm

You have referred me to a site that explains what permitted development can be carried out under Part 1 Class B which is "The enlargement of a dwellinghouse consisting of an addition or alteration of the roof."

If Part B is what you are referring to, I accept that the upper limit of 40 or 50 cubic metres does apply.

I was referring to the whole of Part 1, so if this is the reason why we are disagreeing, then it is a misunderstanding.

I will stand by the earlier claim that Class A can be undertaken in stages with a side elevation extension, followed by a rear elevation extension.
Then Class B could be undertaken within the cubic limits mentioned.
Then Class C will allow velux windows to be added even if the volume limits were reached earlier.
Then Class D will allow a porch to be erected if there was not one before.
Then Class E will allow buildings in the garden to be erected which can include a gas storage tank or oil storage tank that will justify why Class G may need to be considered.
Then Class F will allow the new driveway and parking area to be laid out with whatever choice of surface selected, provided that water run off is contained within the curtilage.
Then Class G will allow you to remove the chimney, if a new central heating system is installed and the fireplaces removed, so that a chimney is no longer needed.
Then Class H will allow the antenna that will allow multiple microwave signals to be gathered from around the world.

That is what I was trying to explain, but if I should have curtailed my comments to Class B which definitely does have an upper limit that cannot be exceeded, then I am sorry to have upset you.

My wife also thinks I am simple, on some occasions, so you are not alone.
pilman

Postby TO » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Pilman

Back to the start

upset! wrote:
My new neighbours have just got planning to put a very large dormer (permitted development)
The thread went on from there, but it is about the dormers in a bungalow. One can deduce from this that there must have been a loft conversion, which when you add the "very large dormers" may exceed the volume limit for permitted development.

I was just trying to answer the post.

TO
TO

Previous

Return to Hedges