Can I cut the council's shrubs/hedge?

Can I cut the council's shrubs/hedge?

Postby servid1984 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:11 am

I live in a house at the end of a long (approx 25 metres) and wide (approx 8 metres) alleyway which has on one side houses and on the other some badly kept shrubs.

My neighbours park their cars next to their houses on the alley, but there is enough room to potetially drive past them with another car and park it at the end of the alley. I have recently bought a car and plan to do this, however I cannot drive down to the end of the alley because the shrubs encroach on the alley and would scratch my car.

I was thinking of just prunning the shrubs so that they leave a clear path to get to the end of the alley. Do you think it would be a problem with the council? They are quite overgrown and often people throw rubbish at them and I think vermin nest in them, so in my opinion it would make the neighbourhood better.

Thanks
servid1984

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Can I cut the council's shrubs/hedge?

Postby ukmicky » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:23 am

If you have a right of way down their you are allowed to maintain it by cutting back any vegetation encroaching on and preventing your access
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby servid1984 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:30 am

Thanks, I think that would be the case as any car parking further down the alley would in effect block me from accessing my house. Will see what happens!
servid1984

Postby Roblewis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:57 pm

Cut it back very hard to roughly the mid line or any fence line. Report the fly tipping to the council and if it is their land insist that they clean the area and maintain it fully
Roblewis

Return to Hedges