Hedge Concerns - near to house

Hedge Concerns - near to house

Postby jonp27 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Hello,

I am looking to buy a new house only the one that I have found and like the neighbour has conifer/ leylandi hedge running along the side of it.
The end of the neighbours garden faces the side of the house that i am interested in buying, the boundary of which is divided up by a fence followed by a path for access down the side of the property.
On the neighbours side, probably less than 30 cm from the fence on the neighbours side is the 3m high leylandi hedge.

The current owner told me while viewing the property he knows the neighbours well and they have no problem him trimming the hedge that hangs over his property
Light isn't so much an issue, because there are no windows on the wall facing the nighbours garden, but I am concerned about the proximity of the trees and whether they can damage the foundations of the house i am interested in.

Hope you can help

Kind Regards

Jon Parker
jonp27

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Hedge Concerns - near to house

Postby Conveyancer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:05 pm

jonp27 wrote:I am concerned about the proximity of the trees and whether they can damage the foundations of the house i am interested in.

Only a professional who has made an inspection can allay any concerns. The first person to advise is the surveyor who conducts the survey - you are having a survey, aren't you?
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.
Conveyancer

Postby jonp27 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks for your reply

At the moment we are still deciding whether we want to put an offer for the property or not with the topic of the hedge being a major talking point, hence my reason for posting on here.

If we were to go ahead agreed a fee for the property we would have a full survey conducted, i was wondering if there was anything that can be done before we get to that point.
jonp27

Postby despair » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Personally because of the hedge and the height and the upkeep i would say do not go ahead but circumstances alter cases

If its clay soil the trees may cause problems but they may not

The one thing i do know is such hedges are very thirsty and the ground under them is likely to be bone dry
despair

Return to Hedges