Have a look at this hedge (pics included)...

Have a look at this hedge (pics included)...

Postby t1mmy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Hello,

There are a lot of helpful on this site and your advise will be much appreciated. At the back of our house there is a large hedge which is planted in a couple of neighbours gardens. It is quite high (20-30ft approx.) and has also started to overhang into our garden.

First pic taken from our upstairs window...

Others from in our garden...

We have no issue with the hedge being there as ideally we do not want to overlook the neighbours and I'm sure it is the other way around for them too. However, it is starting to limit the light we get into the rear rooms in the house and especially the garden. By just looking at the pics do people think this is a hedge that should be kept at a certain height and should the neighbours be responsible for stopping the overhang getting worse?

Tim
t1mmy

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Have a look at this hedge (pics included)...

Postby juliet » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Wow, that is some overhang. Some serious work involved there. Others on here will tell you better, but really the overhang is yours to sort. Cut to the boundary and offer them the cuttings back.
juliet

Postby TO » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi

t1mmy wrote:By just looking at the pics do people think this is a hedge that should be kept at a certain height and should the neighbours be responsible for stopping the overhang getting worse?
Not necessarily and no definitely, but I'm surprised those that espouse the wasteland look haven't "advised" you as yet along the lines that the hedge need's to be cut back to no more than 2m high, all overhang back to the boundary needs to be cut off and the hedge owner should pay or be prosecuted, or at least persecuted, and then have an injunction served on them to stop their hedge growing back beyond the boundary.

I say all hedge complaints are dealt with on their merits, but if you think you are affected you are affected. What if anything can be done is a different matter. As for overhang, you can cut it back to the boundary, but must offer the arisings back to the tree/hedge owner. If they don't want it then dispose of it in your green bin or down the tip.

As for the light/height issue you can work it out for your self by using the information available at the link below.
http://www.communities.gov.uk/publicati ... edgeheight

TO
TO

Postby Sudynim » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:00 pm

t1mmy wrote:We have no issue with the hedge being there as ideally we do not want to overlook the neighbours and I'm sure it is the other way around for them too. However, it is starting to limit the light we get into the rear rooms in the house and especially the garden. By just looking at the pics do people think this is a hedge that should be kept at a certain height and should the neighbours be responsible for stopping the overhang getting worse?

No, you'll have to do the cutting yourself unfortunately. But it's your right to cut it back to the boundary, or as far as you wish towards it.
Sudynim

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:50 pm

Have you spoken to the neighbour about it yet? If they maintain their side, they may be willing to help. I know some people don't care and decline helping, but you don't know until you ask. It does look like quite an overhang which wouldn't be so bad if were not so high up, I guess it will be difficult to trim at that height, but not impossible.

See if this neighbour is nice enough to help, it is their hedge and for the sake of looking after it well, they really should feel obliged to help, if not for good neighbour relations.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby t1mmy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I think the best plan of action will be to speak nicely to the owners of the hedge to see if they will sort it out. Fingers crossed they will as we have neither the money or equipment to do it ourselves.
t1mmy

Return to Hedges