Damage to my hedge

Damage to my hedge

Postby lindadarby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi
I live in my own terraced house which is one of 4, I'm one of the middle ones. The deeds state that the middle houses own one side of their garden hedges each.
My hedge is constructed of wooden trellis with Jasmin, Clematis and other a few small trees along the boundary forming a good and easily maintained vegitation inside my boundary. The tallest part of the hedge is no more than 6ft and the smallest is roughly 4ft so height is not an issue.
I have developed my hedge over a period of about 10 years, and the Jasmine that I intertwined to form vertical and horizontal support provides good summer screening from overlooking neighbours.
My problem is that the neighbours have cut all the Jasmine from their side so that it will now not grow to form the summer greenery, they have completely cut all of the stems that were forming the hedge - this has been done without my knowledge and certainly without my being asked.
Any suggestions for me please - I feel so sad that 10 years of nurturing has all been destroyed in a couple of hours.
lindadarby

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Damage to my hedge

Postby span » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:02 pm

did they cut only vegatation that was growing into their side fo the boundary, or did they cut into your side?
span

Postby Sudynim » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:20 pm

lindadarby wrote:My hedge is constructed of wooden trellis with Jasmin, Clematis and other a few small trees along the boundary forming a good and easily maintained vegitation inside my boundary.

If the trellis was erected on the boundary then the hedge cannot be wholly inside your boundary. Half of the stems & foliage must be projecting into your neighbour's land, and they are entitled to cut anything on their side of the trellis.

Erect a fence instead, and then a trellis 3" in front of it for climbing plants.
Sudynim

Postby lindadarby » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:03 am

Hi and thanks for the replies.
They have removed the main stems, which formed part of the structure of the fence - I guess technically it is on 'their' side but the fence is inside the boundary (which is not visible). My grump is that I don't wish to conform to the panel fence trend, I dislike the appearance and it is expensive to maintain, there was no problem with my solution as the vegitation was forming a realy hedge. I have no problem with them cutting back the overhanging growth, that is understood but they have destroyed the whole structure of the hedge.
I will try to upload a picture to show you what I mean.
Really appreciate the comments - thanks
lindadarby

Postby arborlad » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:24 am

Hedges, and anything live and green, form a wonderful division between one land and another, but they do not do it very accurately, so any thoughts of 'action' against your neighbour would be unwise. Does your neighbour get the same pleasure that you do from the hedge, if so, buy her a pair of Felcos, so you can both maintain it and get benefit from it, if not, will she allow access so that you can maintain both sides.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Sudynim » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:40 pm

lindadarby wrote:the fence is inside the boundary (which is not visible)

Recipe for trouble.
Sudynim

Return to Hedges