Neighbours want to rip out well established beautiful hedge

Neighbours want to rip out well established beautiful hedge

Postby rennies » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:12 pm

My neighbours (to my right) have in the past stated that this is our boundary to maintain. There is nothing specifying such on the deeds and I understand rule of thumb is you maintain the boundary on the left in these circumstances. (I am not 100% about this btw.)

As a sign of goodwill and to TRY to maintain a reasonable relationship with these people we repaired the existing fence on that occasion and replaced a panel but stated we didnt agree with them (with no acknowledgment or thanks).

Now, however, about 5 years later, they have decided it is THEIR boundary and they want to rip out a yellow forsythia hedge which is well established and runs about 30 feet or more down the back garden. They want to replace it with a fence. I am desperate to keep it as it looks amazing but they have told us that its their boundary and they can do whatever they want.

Any suggestions?
rennies

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours want to rip out well established beautiful he

Postby Mattylad » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:32 pm

Tell them NO!

They previously told you it is your boundary - I take it that it is your hedge.
Is it on your land?
If so then they can put fence up on their side.

They can even trim the hedge back to the boundary (but no further) so watch them carefully.

Take pictures now - along the boundary line too.
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.
Mattylad

Postby rennies » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:56 pm

The hedge runs straight down the boundary - couldnt say if it was on my land as it appears to be bang on the border. It was there when I bought the house 7+ years ago.

Emailed the council who said they couldnt help and suggested a solicitor.

Great idea, however, my millions of spare pounds are tied up in artwork and diamonds at the moment.......
rennies

Postby Sadgardener2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:16 am

Since they are making it up as they go along........... just stand firm. You have enough history on the matter to insist it is your boundary and your hedge. They can fence in their side if they wish. Full stop. Is it possible to put a line or some kind of marker behind the hedge to define the boundary? Hedges are not very good at staying within the lines of ownership and this is where the source of argument might lie in this case.
Photograph the fence with a copy of a newspaper in the frame or post the photograph on Facebook or email it to your solicitor or your aunt. To provide a date. Estimate the cost of replacing it with mature plants etc.
The sad truth is that no one wants to know about boundary disputes except Solicitors and Barristers and Surveyors. The council will not care
and if it comes to further argument with these clowns from hell, then you will have an official boundary dispute (infact you have got one now but they might back off) which has to be declared in the sale of either property. That is the only threat you have, except for taking it to court - which is not appropriate in the circumstances.
And don't be scared of standing up for your own rights in the matter. You have nothing to lose but good neighbour relationships and it sounds like they are lost anyway.
Sadgardener2

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 pm

I too think you should stand your ground. They say it is your boundary and expect you to maintain, then when they want their own way with something else, they back track. They sound like horrible neighbours.

It is a shame to lose a hedge which has always been in situ, especially if it adds beauty to your garden. As above, I think you should put it to them that they can fence their side and allow you to maintain the hedge.

Unfortunately bad neighbours will do as they please and if they cut the hedge down one day when you're out, it will be too late to do anything. Unless you could prove that the hedge is yours, in your garden, then it will be difficult to get any 'legal justice'.

Try to come to a compromise with them, I think that is all you can do. Because even if the hedge is on the boundary between the two properties and maintenance and decisions should be mutual, it only takes a bully to decide different and courts are seldom helpful in these situations.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Mojisola » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Just in case they take action and rip the hedge out one day, take a load of softwood cuttings as soon as there is enough growth on the forsythias - www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/gardenplan ... index.html

You will then be able to reinstate the hedge on your side of the new fence.
Mojisola

Postby rennies » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks for all replies, it's given me the confidence to stand firm and put my foot down. Am off into the beautiful Spring sunshine to take some photos of my lovely hedge.
rennies

Postby dmahon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:03 am

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I too think you should stand your ground. They say it is your boundary and expect you to maintain, then when they want their own way with something else, they back track. They sound like horrible neighbours.

Similarly, they thought that it was your boundary but you state that it is not, then when they want to deal with their boundary, you want to stop them. I'm sure if they had posted, people would be saying that you sound like horrible neighbours!
dmahon

Postby rennies » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:10 pm

MMmm, yes you are probably right - that would be very typical of them.

They didnt however object to us maintaining it as a good will gesture, nor did they thank us for the cost and effort. In fact they regularly verbally abused and threatened us, on occasion, on my own doorstep.

I came to this forum for advice, which has been greatly received, I didnt come for censored stirrers to reply.
rennies

Postby span » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:19 pm

rennies wrote:MMmm, yes you are probably right - that would be very typical of them.

They didnt however object to us maintaining it as a good will gesture, nor did they thank us for the cost and effort. In fact they regularly verbally abused and threatened us, on occasion, on my own doorstep.

I came to this forum for advice, which has been greatly received, I didnt come for censored stirrers to reply.

Now now, calm down rennies. It's a public forum, everyone's entitled to chip in their tuppenceworth. Posters typically get a broad range of responses. The best thing to do is thank everyone equally for taking the time, effort and interest to respond, and make your own mind up.
span

Postby RDF Jess » Fri May 29, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi, my name is Jess and I’m a Researcher at RDF Television.

I’m currently working on a new documentary for ITV exploring a variety of issues people can face in their garden and or around their home including boundary disputes, nuisances next door, infestations, pests and weeds, sinkholes, erosion and flooding.

It would be great to have a chat with you and tell you more about the programme.

If you’re interested in finding out more please call Jess on 0207 013 4076.
RDF Jess

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges