Hedge removed in conservation area

Hedge removed in conservation area

Postby jules1234 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:37 pm

I came home from work on Tuesday to find my neighbour had paid someone to remove six metres of privet hedging along the side of my back garden without telling us of his plans.

He lives in a large property, split into five houses, which is at a 90 degree angle to mine. I face forwards onto the road and their shared driveway and courtyard runs along the side of my house and beyond.

I now have open access into my back garden. The removal of this section of hedging does not affect any of the residents of the other property except aesthetically. He intends to replant the missing section with saplings, which will take four years to grow to a reasonable height.

To make things worse, I live in a conservation area and will have to get planning permission to put up a fence to secure my home. This will probably take three months - if it is granted at all.

I am extremely concerned about security, particularly as the said neighbours have public events in the courtyard so all and sundry will be able to see the security breach.

There is nothing in my deeds about who is responsible for that particular boundary. It is not clear where the boundary line is but I believe the roots on the removed and remaining hedge extend onto my land.

I am extremely angry about the lack of consideration and expense Involved. Was this a party hedge? Was he within his rights to remove it without discussion? Can he remove a hedge in a conservation area? Can I stop him removing any more? How can I secure my property until I can get planning permission?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
jules1234

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Hedge removed in conservation area

Postby Treeman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:32 am

Was this a party hedge?

Probably not, consult your deeds.
Was he within his rights to remove it without discussion?

If it was his hedge then yes
Can he remove a hedge in a conservation area?

As above
Can I stop him removing any more?

If it is his then no
How can I secure my property until I can get planning permission?

put a temporary fence up
Treeman

Postby jules1234 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks for the info.

I have just downloaded his title plans from the land registry and found that his land finishes at the bottom corner of our garden therefore it was my hedge all along.

He has cut the hedge for the past decade believing it was his. I have lived there for the past 18 months and have gone along with this.

Just checking - would this give him any claim on the hedge?

Many thanks.
jules1234

Postby span » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:17 am

Forget about that hedge - it's gone. Get your land fenced to your satisfaction asap.
span

Return to Hedges