can my neighbour cut down my ivy?

can my neighbour cut down my ivy?

Postby lala » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:23 pm

My neighbour has taken the liberty of chopping down my ivy that overhangs my wall at the bottom of my garden. She has never mentioned that she had a problem with it or that she was going to cut it down. She just put a letter through my door after she had done it.
The wall backs on to a block of garages, one of these is hers. The wall is about 10 ft high and the ivy hung down about 4ft from the top. No-ones garage is directly underneath or next to the wall. We have lived there for 15 years and not one person has mentioned the ivy being a problem. We cut it back each year in late summer to avoid the nesting blackbirds. She has disturb a blackbirds nest and left it in full view. The female blackbird was quite upset last night and has not returned to her nest which has two eggs in it.
If this person had approached me in the first place I would have quite willingly have cut the ivy back but so as not to disturb the birds.
Can anyone give me any advise as to what I should do?
lala

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: can my neighbour cut down my ivy?

Postby mr sheen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Where you allow vegetation to grow beyond the boundary of your own land, you have little legal redress when it is cut back to your boundary
mr sheen

Postby lala » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:24 pm

I was more concerned with the disturbance of the blackbirds and that they hadnt the decency to talk to us first.
lala

Postby Mojisola » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:03 pm

I would write and say you hadn't realised that the ivy was causing a problem and apologise for any inconvenience. Ask her to let you know if it's a problem in future and you will deal with it. In the meantime, be proactive and make sure the ivy doesn't spread over the top of your wall.

She shouldn't have cut it back at this time of year because of nesting birds but she probably didn't know that.
Mojisola

Postby mr sheen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:05 pm

lala wrote:they hadnt the decency to talk to us first.

They don't have to ask you if it is outside your boundary and causing a nuisance.
In order to prevent further problems you could keep it cut back to your boundary and cut it back at a time of year that suits you and protects nesting birds.
mr sheen

Postby TO » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi
lala wrote:I was more concerned with the disturbance of the blackbirds and that they hadnt the decency to talk to us first.
and
lala wrote:If this person had approached me in the first place I would have quite willingly have cut the ivy back but so as not to disturb the birds. Can anyone give me any advise as to what I should do?

Disturbing the nest and nesting birds is a criminal offence. Most Police Forces have dedicated Wildlife Officers. Get in touch with them and see if they will pursue the matter. Ignorance is no excuse.

TO
TO

Postby lala » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks for all the replies.
Poor Mrs Blackbird still hasnt gone back to her nest. :(
lala

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges