Dying Hedge

Dying Hedge

Postby Lunah » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:42 pm

Apologies if this is elsewhere on the site, had a quick click round and couldn't find a definite answer.

When I moved into my house 5 years ago the back hedge in my back garden has been slowly dying. It has nearly died all the way across now.

1. How do I find out if it is mine or the house behind me? I saw mention is some posts that deeds should not be relied upon. Their house looks older than ours-(ours were built in the 1970's on an old quarry/tip) is it more likely that it is theirs? Is it the land registry we need to consult?
2. I have just had a brief talk through the hedge to the new neighbours and asked them if it is theirs and what they want to do about it. They are going to check their deeds. Should we go 50/50 on a new fence? If it's theirs should they pay all of it or should we give a contribution out of goodwill ? What is the accepted and polite way of doing this?

ANy help would be gratefully recieved.
Lunah

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Dying Hedge

Postby mr sheen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Lunah wrote: What is the accepted and polite way of doing this?

Take a good look around this site...keeping good relations with your neighbours is priceless.

Keep discussing and reach a mutually acceptable solution (financial contribution to a fence or hedge is an absolute bargain where boundaries are concerned in relation to preventing a dispute which can escalate and cost masses in terms of finance, stress and goodwill).

Following the joint solution to the problem the next time you see them you can say 'hi' to each other rather than getting a string of abuse.
mr sheen

Postby Lunah » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:38 pm

Thanks for you help. Phoned the land registry after checking my deeds who said that it is a shared hedge.
Lunah

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Try very hard to reach a mutual agreement now with your neighbour. Whether you want to re-hedge the boundary or fence, it should be a decision made between you and your neighbour. A fence might be better in the long run, less upkeep and if the boundary line is agreed, hopefully there shouldn’t be any future problems.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Return to Hedges