Neighbours right to cut my hedge

Neighbours right to cut my hedge

Postby wallaced » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:18 pm

My driveway is seperated from my neighbours by a breeze block wall 2 foot high attached to my gate post. A hedge was planted before I moved in, solely on my side of this wall and for many years, served as a screen between both houses. New neighbours arrived and they have erected a wooden fence along their side of the breeze block wall for extra screening - but the fence is a few inches from teh wall to allow erection of the fence posts. The neighbour does not appear to want my hedge to touch his fence. When I am out, he has been seen leaning over the top of the hedge and cutting my hedge away from his fence so that the hedge does not overhang my breeze block wall. Does he have a legal entitlement to do this? He has reduced the width of the hedge and I worry about its stability (its around 5-6 feet high and I think it is box). The neighbour is not very friendly, he has never asked if he can do this and I am loath to tackle him on the issue as I find him and his son aggressive. Any ideas from anyone? As the hedge is planted on my side and used to form a boundary of sorts, am I obliged to trim his side up to what would have been the old boundary even though he has restricted access by putting the fence there? :?:
wallaced

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours right to cut my hedge

Postby mugwump » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:37 am

From the sound of it he has trimmed it back to the boundary, which he is entitled to do.
mugwump

Re: Neighbours right to cut my hedge

Postby w3526602 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:58 am

From the sound of it he has trimmed it back to the boundary, which he is entitled to do.

Hi,

But he must offer you the cuttings back? You don't have to accept them. But if he just throws them back, without asking, that might count as littering.

I can forsee a time when the gap between your wall and his fence will be full of hedge trimmings.

I reckon you are on a "hiding to nothing", unless he encroaches beyond the boundary line.

602 (That was my "last three")
w3526602

Return to Hedges