Neighbours Ivy is plaguing my garden

Neighbours Ivy is plaguing my garden

Postby johno21 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi There,

Both myself and the neighbours are owner occupiers.
Currently the neighbouring property is tenanted through a managing agent, the tenants are not the gardening type and are currently being evicted allegedly! For some time now I have been getting an evergrowing ivy problem eminating from the neighbours garden through their wooden fencing and into my garden. Although it is their fence, I have put up a fence on this side, I often cut back the ivy but its not mine and until it is brought under control on the other side of the fence i am forever going to have a problem, I am concerned that it will start to break down my fence if allowed to continue.

What other than cut back to the boundary line can i do? If I contact the council are they obliged to intervene? or will i be told that we are both owner occupiers and to get on with it?

Advice on this matter would really be appreciated.

Johno21
johno21

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours Ivy is plaguing my garden

Postby arborlad » Fri May 06, 2011 1:40 pm

johno21 wrote: Although it is their fence, I have put up a fence on this side,

You should remove that second fence, today, neither fence will control ivy and you're putting your land at risk by leaving it there.

Ivy is not that difficult to control manually, either with a hedgetrimmer or secateurs, it will almost certainly have rooted on your land but it is easy to pull, except the bigger bits, some claim success by using Roundup, I've not found it effective.

You're right in the middle of the nesting season at the moment, so any major clearance would have to wait.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby despair » Fri May 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Oh do i know how you feall

Ivy eminating from a neighbours garden is an absolute pest

I pull out yards of it week after week
despair

Postby johno21 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:04 am

So other than my removing the problem Ivy myself, is there nothing the council can do to help? ie getting involved or is this a case of private properties so we have to get on with it?

Thanks
johno21

Postby Mojisola » Mon May 09, 2011 9:56 am

It is a problem between the two owners. Have you tried asking the managing agents if they will sort out the garden or, if they're not willing to do that, would they mind if you removed the ivy?
Mojisola

Postby RDF Jess » Fri May 29, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi, my name is Jess and I’m a Researcher at RDF Television.

I’m currently working on a new documentary for ITV exploring a variety of issues people can face in their garden and or around their home including boundary disputes, nuisances next door, infestations, pests and weeds, sinkholes, erosion and flooding.

It would be great to have a chat with you and tell you more about the programme.

If you’re interested in finding out more please call Jess on 0207 013 4076.
RDF Jess

Return to Hedges