do I cut my neighbours side of my hedge?

do I cut my neighbours side of my hedge?

Postby shucki » Mon May 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Hello all,

some advice please!

we moved into a new house 10 months ago and we have mature hedges surrounding the back (a tall beach hedge and some connifer) and one side (holly etc) of our detached house.

As its spring, all our neighbours have been cutting their hedges so we thought we'd best get ours done also so we arranged for some hedge / tree people to come in and do it all in a day (as there was quite a bit to be done and it looked like it hadnt been done in a couple of years). They trimmed back all the hdges and cut 1 & 1/2 feet off the top of the back beach hedge (being careful not to make a mess etc) and levelled it up so its all nice and presentable. The back beach hedge is on our land and backs onto to a fence that I think is owned by the people who live behind us. I thought we had done all that we needed to but the chap who lives in the house behind us came round on saturday and asked why we hadn't cut his side also? I've checked and our hedge hangs over his fence by 6 inches at the most and I dont think I'm the one that has to cut his side of our hedge, especially as its impossible to cut without going fully into his garden.

In addition, he has a tall holly hedge on one side that overhangs the fence into OUR garden by over 6 inches and he hasn't offered to cut that!

Do I legally have to cut his side of our hedge? I dont want to cause an issue with new neighbours but I dont think its my problem and it was an expensive job so I'm not keen to pay for his side to be done.

Regards, shucki
shucki

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: do I cut my neighbours side of my hedge?

Postby span » Mon May 09, 2011 8:00 pm

What did he say when you pointed out to him the overhang of his hedge into your garden?

Sounds like a reasonable starting point to me.
span

Postby TO » Mon May 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi

shucki wrote:Do I legally have to cut his side of our hedge?
No

TO
TO

Postby shucki » Tue May 10, 2011 7:44 am

I haven't yet had that conversation (about his hedge overlapping my garden) but I will do so this weekend. I just wanted to get a perspective on the situation before I respond. He seems like a nice, mild mannered person, so I dont want to cause any issues with him until I have to.

so is the general consensus that I dont have to cut his side of the hedge? (despite it being my hedge)
shucki

Postby Mattylad » Tue May 10, 2011 7:50 am

Given that its is now lowered and all you need to do is trim the front face on his side, I'd buy an electric hedge trimmer and do it myself rather than pay someone - I think it might cost less and wont take long.

As for having to do it - no, however when I had a hedge I always used to go knock next door and ask them if I can trim my hedge on their side (it was alongside their drive) and they even lent me the hedge trimmers to do it.

You may mention to your neighbour - you do mine and I'll do yours :D

OR simply say " you are welcome to trim your side to the boundary if you wish, as long as you do not pass the boundary"
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.
Mattylad

Postby appledore » Tue May 10, 2011 6:44 pm

We always offer to cut the other side of our hedges. Some people are happy to let someone go into their garden, but others would rather cut the hedge themselves. I think it's nice to offer though.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby despair » Tue May 10, 2011 7:47 pm

Good neighbours always used to offer to cut the neighbours side of their hedge
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue May 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Nice to offer to cut your hedge their side if the neighbour asks.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby mark one » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:38 am

Rightly or not I always cut the top of the hedges, although not sure whether it is there's, our or half . Some people on the road just cut to the half way point and if the neighbour does not cut it in a few years time you will need God to lean out from haven and do the job as they can get really high
mark one

Postby dodo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:27 pm

"Rightly or not I always cut the top of the hedges, although not sure whether it is there's, our or half . Some people on the road just cut to the half way point and if the neighbour does not cut it in a few years time you will need God to lean out from haven and do the job as they can get really high"
When we moved in the leylandii hedge growing entirely in next door's garden was fairly high but nice and green and well groomed.
It gradually emerged as the half of the hedge nearest us grew massively upwards and outwards whilst the other half was kept to the same height and width, that our neighbour was unwilling to pay for the whole of his hedge to be maintained .
I've just discovered that my neighbour - now sadly deceased - was charged £700 for his last annual "semi- hedge" cut - impossible for me to afford.
Maybe he was charged extra for measuring precisely that only half of the hedge was cut - who knows?
The nature of leylandii is that if cut back into brown wood it won't green up again - once next door's leylandii hedge has grown out over your garden if you cut it back to your boundary you'll probably be looking at brown dead twigs and ...........nothing grows beneath leylandii?
If domestic boundary walls and fences can only be of a certain height why isn't the height of domestic residential hedges similarly capped?
If the hedge is on your land shouldn't the default position be that you're responsible for paying for cutting all of it until asked in writing by your neighbour not to do so - that agreement ending on the sale of the house to someone new.
dodo

Postby Sudynim » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:57 pm

shucki wrote:Do I legally have to cut his side of our hedge?

Nope.
Sudynim

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges