neighbours hedge height

neighbours hedge height

Postby barney14 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:35 pm

My neighbour is not much of a gardener, and although we have a fence, has planted bushes last year. She said she would keep them trimmed, but hasn't touched them.

They are totally on her side of the fence apart from the dd one that's got out of control.But the height bothers me. Am I ok to trim down to meet the 6ft fence height?

Not too bad out back garden, but at the front, it's right outside my kitchen window.
barney14

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: neighbours hedge height

Postby despair » Sun May 15, 2011 5:41 pm

They are your neighbours property and other than roots or branches which cross over the boundary you cannot touch them

All you can do is cut back anything which overhangs strictly to the boundary

You cannot reduce the height
despair

Postby Alicia » Sun May 15, 2011 5:43 pm

If the hedge become a problem to you due to it's height you can try to get your neighbour to reduce it. Failing an agreement your local council will have a procedure to help enforce a reasonable height - but you'll need to pay for the council's service (£500 round here).
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__
Alicia

Postby appledore » Sun May 15, 2011 6:18 pm

What sort of shrubs are they? The high hedge law only applies to evergreen hedges.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Return to Hedges