Please help with my bush dilemma :(

Please help with my bush dilemma :(

Postby DKode » Wed May 18, 2011 1:06 am

Hello all, I have come to you in the hope you may be able to advise me on my hedge problem :

I am a council resident in a 3 story block of flats, have been living there for 5 years, I have a garden which is situated at the front of the block that is solely accessable by me which is surrounded by a privet hedge (which was there when I moved in) now for the last 4 years my friends husband has maintaned it for me (I am a single Mum) when he did the rest of my garden, unfortunatley (for me) my friends moved a large distance away and so this year especially with the warm start we have had I have an especially large and overhanging bush :( I am 5 foot 1 and it is at least twice my size in places, I have now had a letter from my council :

Re : Highways Act 1980

It has come to my notice that hedges growing on land at ** ****** ~Rd overhangs the footway and endangers or obstructs the passage of pedestrians.

Section 154 (1) of Part IX of the Highways Act 1980 imposes a duty on the owner of the hedge/tree/shrub or the occupier of the land on which it is growing to so cut or lop it as to remove the cause of the danger, obstruction or interference, within 14 days of being given written notice by a competent authority.

Unless I hear by return of post that you have taken or will within the next 14 days be taking appropriate steps to remedy the cause of the complaint I shall be obliged to serve such notice on you.

The relevent parts of the above section of the Highways act are shown overleaf.

If you are not the responsible for maintaining the hedge, and you are aware who is, I would appreciate it if you would forward this letter to that person.

I aopologise if this has caused you any anxiety.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This letter has scared the wits out of me, I have asked but been unsuccessful in finding anyone else who will cut this monster for me, as I said I am a single Mum (I work full time and pay full rent and council tax) and I am very small height wise, I am not trying to get out of things at all but I can see me doing my self a damage even attempting to cut the hedge .... the worst and most petty thing about this is that the council have cut down the side of the hedge (adjacent to the communal bin area) but stopped short of doing the front of the very same hedge, surely they could have done a left turn and in 2 seconds it would have been cut :( another thing is where is the waste from the hedge supposed to go? I have no car and very limited cash resources. :(
Is there any way that I can appeal and get the council to do this job for me?
So very grateful for any help .................
DKode

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Please help with my bush dilemma :(

Postby FrTed » Wed May 18, 2011 1:19 am

You could do one of a couple of things here.

Let the council "serve notice" on you - they will then appoint a contractor who will trim the hedge back to the boundary of the footway, and probably no more than that. They will then bill you.
The bill from the council appointed contractor is likely to be more than if you employed your own garden handy man from the local free-ads paper or yellow pages.

The latter is also more likely to trim the lot (front and back sides of the hedge and top) and do a neater job.

My choice would be to scour the local yellow pages or similar and phone for some quotes.
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"
FrTed

Postby despair » Wed May 18, 2011 8:27 am

Pay someone to cut it back or invest in a hedge trimmer and do it yourself

There are lightweight ones that are easy to manage

or get someone to remove the hedge completely and install a fence
despair

Postby Alicia » Wed May 18, 2011 10:17 am

I'm 5'1" and personally maintain 72m of leylandi hedge to a height of 3m, and both sides.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__
Alicia

Postby DKode » Wed May 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Thanks for the replies peoples, Alicia I applaud you! I will look to renting a hedge strimmer from a tool ctr. :)
DKode

Postby despair » Wed May 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Much cheaper to buy one i assure you

Then you have it ready to keep the bush under control
despair

Return to Hedges