Neighbours Hedge - My Privacy

Neighbours Hedge - My Privacy

Postby GardenerBo » Tue May 24, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi
I moved into this property 6 years ago. On the north side on the boundary with my neighbour there is a tall hedge of laurel etc and it is on their rented property.

I keep my side of this hedge trimmed, and when they moved in about 18 months ago and started to plant veg in their garden etc I offered to trim the height of my side of the hedge to 7 feet or so, to let in more light for them, but to retain the privacy I had enjoyed since moving in from some flats. This offer was rejected.

Several months later they stripped a part of the hedge down to 3 feet .. meaning that I have lost the privacy for my garden in one part totally. And I have just heard them talking about taking a chainsaw to the rest of it.

I appreciate that they rent the property and the hedge is on that property, but do I have any case for maintaining my privacy and asking them not to take the hedge down below 6 feet?

I know I could plant my own hedge, in fact I have where they have already taken it down.

Obviously these people have no intention of discussing anything with me (and they are not people I feel I can approach as they are rather aggressive).

Any ideas please?

Thanks
GardenerBo

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours Hedge - My Privacy

Postby span » Tue May 24, 2011 9:55 pm

GardenerBo wrote:Hi
I know I could plant my own hedge, in fact I have where they have already taken it down.

There you go, you've answered your own question.

Have a nosey through GL with the search function, there're several suggestions about regaining/restoring privacy whilst you're waiting for your hedge to mature.
span

Postby TO » Wed May 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi
GardenerBo wrote:do I have any case for maintaining my privacy and asking them not to take the hedge down below 6 feet?
No

TO
TO

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed May 25, 2011 10:15 pm

As it is not your hedge, there is nothing you can do to prevent the neighbour from cutting it down as it is on their own/rented property.

But you can create your own privacy. Hedge, trees, trellis with climbing plants, summer house, sails, pergola are some ideas. A great space saving way to get privacy is to stake tall poles in the ground and string wires or fishing line between for training climbing plants up. This gives a beautiful screen which fits in any size garden and is actually one of the most cost effective and fastest ways to get your privacy back.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby juliet » Wed May 25, 2011 10:29 pm

If you know who the landlord is, you could maybe contact them as they might not want the hedge removing. I wouldn't say that you don't want it removing but that you are concerned that the landlord wouldn't want it removing.
juliet

Return to Hedges