Neighbour leaning junk against hedge

Neighbour leaning junk against hedge

Postby wando » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi

My neighbour and I share a bordering hedge at the front of our houses. I am unsure who owns the hedge. My neighbour keeps a lot of junk in his front garden and has been leaning items against the hedge on his side, causing stress to the hedge which is now leaning into my garden. Items leaning on the hedge are 1. a trailer, and 2. a cast iron fireplace. The hedge marks the boundary between our two properties, and I understand that I can cut back the hedge to the extent of the boundary. Unfortunately if I did this it would weaken the hedge so much that my neighbours items might be too heavy for the hedge and distroy it. I am wary of approaching my neighbour about this, as he has often been quite aggressive, and I do not want to strain relations.

Any advice would be appreciated.

C
wando

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour leaning junk against hedge

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:57 pm

wando wrote:Hi

My neighbour and I share a bordering hedge at the front of our houses. I am unsure who owns the hedge. My neighbour keeps a lot of junk in his front garden and has been leaning items against the hedge on his side, causing stress to the hedge which is now leaning into my garden. Items leaning on the hedge are 1. a trailer, and 2. a cast iron fireplace. The hedge marks the boundary between our two properties, and I understand that I can cut back the hedge to the extent of the boundary. Unfortunately if I did this it would weaken the hedge so much that my neighbours items might be too heavy for the hedge and distroy it. I am wary of approaching my neighbour about this, as he has often been quite aggressive, and I do not want to strain relations.

Any advice would be appreciated.

C

Goodness, it seems like there are many issues with this neighbour. The piles of junk and leaning things all over the place, in to your garden, against the hedge, what is wrong with them? :? They don't sound very nice.

If you cut the hedge back and the junk falls in to your garden, get a witness or video yourself carefully returning the junk to their side. You shouldn't have to tolerate too much of this, it isn't neighbourly at all.

I don't know if you can approach them at all, but it might be worth having the odd friendly word to see if you can break the ice with them at all. I don't think some people realise they are creating such a mess or problem to others, either that or they just don't care. :| Not really worth falling out over, just try to move stuff if it comes over your side and keep a wide berth if they are aggressive.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby wando » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Yes, it seems a lot. :( I havent even mentioned that the dog is ppoping in my property, although I am closing my gates which seems to have resolved this issue. The problem with the hedge is that it is leaning so far into my property now that to trim it back to the borderline, would be to trim the hedge to nothing as the section of hedge in question has come completely over to my side.

I guess I will have to have a 'friendly' word with my neighbour, and I am not looking forward to this because im a bit of a wus. :roll:

Thanks for your help. :)

C
wando

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:08 pm

wando wrote:Yes, it seems a lot. :( I havent even mentioned that the dog is ppoping in my property, although I am closing my gates which seems to have resolved this issue. The problem with the hedge is that it is leaning so far into my property now that to trim it back to the borderline, would be to trim the hedge to nothing as the section of hedge in question has come completely over to my side.

I guess I will have to have a 'friendly' word with my neighbour, and I am not looking forward to this because im a bit of a wus. :roll:

Thanks for your help. :)

C

Awww I’m sure you'll be fine, confrontation is hard for most of us, I know I don't enjoy it. But when something is becoming a problem, it has to be dealt with sooner or later, sooner is usually best.

I hope your neighbour will surprise you and move the rubbish, it is so much nicer to just get along despite differences. It won't be of any benefit to your neighbour to inflict unpleasantness on you.

Best of luck. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby despair » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:39 pm

Is the neighbour a Council Tenant because a word in the Housing Officers ear might resolve matters
despair

Postby wando » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:07 am

I dont believe so, but I could be wrong. My house is one of 4 semi-detached properties in the street, and I assumed they were all owner occupied. Perhaps I should try and find out. My neighbours garden resembles a junkyard as he seems unable or unwilling to get rid of junk. Items in his front garden include 2 motorbikes, 6 car wheels, 2 car trailers, 2 old fireplaces, and other assorted junk. This in addition to his current car and motorcycle. The small garden is full of items and I guess this is why some stuff is leaning against the hedge, causing the hedge to lean into my garden.

Any tips on how I could determine if he is a council tenant?

Many Thanks

C
wando

Postby despair » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:44 am

go to www.landregistry.gov.uk and see if you can download a copy of his deeds for £4

if the council own it the deeds may not be available
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges