HEDGE PLEASE HELP I'M GOING MAD!!

HEDGE PLEASE HELP I'M GOING MAD!!

Postby britcat1974 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm so sorry if this has already been answered but couldn't see it on the list. To cut a very very long story short, my neightbour is claiming a hedge bordering our properties is mine. I contacted the Land registry and was advised that he is responsible for this boundary as of August 1987. My neighbour today has shown me a "fence" on his side. This cannot really be described as a fence as all there are, are a couple of rotten posts, and about a foot high, held up by the hedge are in areas chicken wire which runs in about 30% of the boundary and the rest is just hedge. My neighbour advises as the hedge is on my side of the "fence" they belong to me and therefore I am responsible for it's maintenence. I don't have a measured scale as to where my property begins and ends, therefore I'm not sure if they are on my side. Either way? Any ideas as to who is responsible? If the hedge was there in 1987 does this not imply he is responsible regardless of who's "side" they are on? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
britcat1974

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: HEDGE PLEASE HELP I'M GOING MAD!!

Postby Mojisola » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Even if it is your hedge, you don't have to maintain it. If your neighbour wants to cut his side back to the boundary, he can do that. If you want to be very nice to him, you could tell him that you will allow him to cut the height down to whatever suits him.
Mojisola

Postby britcat1974 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Hehehehehe! I'm not sure I'm THAT brave. Anyway up until he flipped last year, I was happy doing "my" side and him "his". We got on very well. Now he's got it into his pea sized brain that he has no responsibility to maintain it. Therefore we have a lovely "hedge mohican" growing to the centre because he'll cut about a foot of his side but not the rest. My mates think it's hilarious! As regarding maintenence. I thought that your hedges were only allowed to be so high? Thanks for your help.
britcat1974

Postby Mojisola » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:38 pm

Fences can only be 2m high but hedges aren't restricted unless they get tall enough to come under the High Hedges law. This only applies to evergreen hedges.
Mojisola

Postby ehupchuck » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Maybe I'm being thick, but if the neighbour is saying the hedge is yours, and his 'fence' is the dividing line and has been since August 1987 per the Land Registry, then what would be the outcome if you cut the hedge down and built your own fence up against the one he has built on the boundary.
Surely he would either have to accept that the hedge was shared, and to be maintained by you both, or give up the land up to the fence.

No idea what the rules are on that - just doing a brain dump!
ehupchuck

Postby north wall » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:50 pm

ehupchuck is correct.
Why are you bothered what the hedgh looks like on his side?
Just keep the hedgh trimmed on your side and forget it.
If there is no details at the land registry on ownership of the fence, then I sugest you do as ehupchuck tells you.

Regards northwall
north wall

Postby despair » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:16 pm

Just think of it as land gained

Theres no reason to care what the hedge is like his side ............
despair

Postby Roblewis » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Which do you want - hedge or fence it is your choice and he has told you exactly where he considers the boundary to be so stick to it carefully. You could be gaining a 200mm wide strip of land
Roblewis

Postby Sudynim » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:15 pm

britcat1974 wrote:I'm so sorry if this has already been answered but couldn't see it on the list. To cut a very very long story short, my neightbour is claiming a hedge bordering our properties is mine. I contacted the Land registry and was advised that he is responsible for this boundary as of August 1987. My neighbour today has shown me a "fence" on his side. This cannot really be described as a fence as all there are, are a couple of rotten posts, and about a foot high, held up by the hedge are in areas chicken wire which runs in about 30% of the boundary and the rest is just hedge. My neighbour advises as the hedge is on my side of the "fence" they belong to me and therefore I am responsible for it's maintenence.

He is right that it belongs to you. Take some photos of those fence markers before he realises his mistake.

He is wrong that you must therefore maintain the hedge. Excepting the high hedge law, which is very near to toothless because of the costs & small-print accompanying it, you don't have to trim the hedge at all. When that news reaches him, you'll be glad you have those photos.
Sudynim

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges