Leylandii hedge letter to neighbours

Leylandii hedge letter to neighbours

Postby lindseymg » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi,

My neighbours have recently planted about 12 Leylandii tree alongside our house about 5 metres away, I noticed them last year and now the tallest is about 9 foot tall. I knocked on their door and they said not to worry as they 'are not leylandii' and slow growing(!!) with shallow roots....

What is my next step as I want to prevent them from gettiing too tall , causing subsidence or falling onto our house where my children sleep :-( Do I need to inform our insurance company or ask them to write to the owner that they will be liable for any damage or should I just write to them myself?

Very grateful for any help?

Lindsey
lindseymg

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Leylandii hedge letter to neighbours

Postby Treeman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:47 pm

You don’t have a next step. You can’t prevent any of the things you listed.
Treeman

Postby lindseymg » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi,

Sorry I thought that I could send them a letter advising them of any legal standing if the trees cause damage to our house... I am supposed to inform them of potential damage before it happens I think?

Lindsey
lindseymg

Postby TO » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi
lindseymg wrote:Sorry I thought that I could send them a letter advising them of any legal standing
What legal standing

lindseymg wrote:Hi,
Sorry I thought that I could send them a letter advising them of any legal standing if the trees cause damage to our house... I am supposed to inform them of potential damage before it happens I think? Lindsey
Well you can indeed write to them, there are even contributors on this site who would agree with you, (although they agree with every poster). But it would be a pointless exercise, and a waste of time, paper, and ink.

TO
TO

Postby ukmicky » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:34 pm

Their is nothing you can do until their is damage which you can actually prove is caused by their trees.

You then cant do nothing unless you can show they knew or should have known that damage was actually being caused by their trees

If you cant show that they are then only liable for future damage if they take no action once evidence of the trees causing damage has been given to them.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby RUHEAP » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:44 pm

my hedge was limited to 6 feet..the neighbour did not like that so whilst i was away he came around and cut the lot down to the
ground. about 35 trees in all..it took 3 days to burn the lot. to ash..smoke all over the place.... then advised the neighbour to never do it again..at my own cost i replaced all the conifer trees.... they are now 30 feet high....have now doubled up with another line...... FYI the neighbour is living in his the modified bungalow to a big house,,,although a covenant says only a bungalow & one garage on 9 feet of my row plus part of the next doors garden.... roofs over hang each other......so much for the law..one day my hedge will be part of a local fire in this wooded area where children have smoking and drinking parties with fires...on thick pine needled land....just given time then no hedges but one hell of a blaze...the hedges around my land are all about 30 feet..the oaks are about 75 feet. I have cleared all he area around my house.. it will not help ... in canada i was in a forest fire... burning out of control...nothing could be done..moving fast thru undergrowth and (hedges) I sat in a canoe in the middle of a wide river and survived...if dry weather prevails due climate change hedges are a real fire hazard.
RUHEAP

Return to Hedges