allotment society Hedgerow

allotment society Hedgerow

Postby denbo007 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:34 pm

hi everyone

firstly i didn't think there could be so much hassle over boundrys (LOL)
I live adjacent to some allotments the lane runs by the side of my house. There is a hedge made of privet Hawthorne and other unknowns and held together with ivy which is spreading over my garden. I have had an accident and am now unable to cut and maintain the hedgerow which is approx. 100mtrs long and grows to 8-9ft high every year. It is also infested with rats. (The council want £40 to come out to the rats) Can I make the allotment society come onto my property and get them to cut and remove the cuttings on a yearly basis, and also sort out the rat problem? Or can I get gardeners in to do the work and send the bill to society to pay? I have always kept it nice and neat but can nolonger do it. :cry:

Any help would be Appreciated
denbo007

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: allotment society Hedgerow

Postby Treeman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:51 pm

denbo007 wrote: Can I make the allotment society come onto my property and get them to cut and remove the cuttings on a yearly basis, and also sort out the rat problem?

Or can I get gardeners in to do the work and send the bill to society to pay?

No and no
Treeman

Postby w3526602 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi,

Are they your rats, or is there reason to think they "belong" to the allotment ..... is there anything on the allotment that would attract rats, like waste food?

I was going to suggest that you see if there is a local Jack Russel club, but hunting with dogs is illegal now. Ferrets?

602 (That was my "last three")
w3526602

Postby zaax » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Bait & traps are very cheap on e-bay. Just make sure you wear glove when you put it down in their runways otherwise they will smell human and go pass.

also Local authorities have powers under the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949 to force private landowners to take action against rat/mouse infestation or take matters into their own hands.
I know nothing about the law.
zaax

Postby ferdinand2000 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:07 pm

w3526602 wrote:Hi,

Are they your rats, or is there reason to think they "belong" to the allotment ..... is there anything on the allotment that would attract rats, like waste food?

I was going to suggest that you see if there is a local Jack Russel club, but hunting with dogs is illegal now. Ferrets?

Ratting with the landowners permission is exempt.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/37/schedule/1

F
ferdinand2000

Return to Hedges