hedge replaced by wall

hedge replaced by wall

Postby rostrondave » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:57 am

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A HOUSE WHICH HAD A NICE HEDGE DIVIDING MY NEW DRIVE FROM NEXT DOORS GARDEN, WHEN THE HEDGE WAS NEATLY TRIMMED THE DRIVE ENTRANCE WAS NICE AND WIDE AND EASY TO DRIVE IN.
WHILST WAITING FOR THE LEGAL PAPERWORK TO GO THROUGH I WENT ON HOLIDAY, THE DAY I RETURNED WE COMPLETED THE SALE, I GOT THE KEYS 2 DAYS LATER. WHEN I WENT ROUND TO THE HOUSE TO MY HORROR I FOUND THE HEDGE HAD BEEN REMOVED AND REPLACED WITH AN UGLY BRICK WALL.
THE ENTRANCE IS NOW MUCH SMALLER AND IS REALLY DIFFICULT TO ACCESS AS THEY HAVE BUILT THE WALL SO THAT ON MY SIDE THE FACE OF THE WALL IS WHERE THE LEAVES OF THE BUSH WOULD BE BEFORE IT WAS TRIMMED, ITS HARD TO EXPLAIN BUT THE CENTRE OF THE BUSHES WOULD HAVE BEEN APPROX 18 INCHES FURTHER BACK FROM WHER THE FACE OF THE WALL IS ON MY SIDE IS NOW.
THEY NEVER ASKED MINE OR THE SELLERS FOR PERMISSION TO DO THIS.

THE HEDGE HAD BEEN THERE FOR APPROX 40 YEARS !!!!

IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO
rostrondave

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: hedge replaced by wall

Postby w3526602 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi,

Are thyere any landmarks that indicate where the boundary is? I'm thinking fence in back garden, does it line up, sort of thing. Was the hedge mid-way between your and your neighbours house, but the wall isn't?

If there is now a dogleg in the boundary, compare it with the Land Registry map. No proof, but encouraging evidence.

Is this an estate? Are all the other houses similar? If so, are the plot widths the same (apart from yours).

I suspect that your solicitor will have measurements, including plot width, provided by the vendor.

If you are lucky, the council planning dept may have the original plans, and should let you peruse them (copies will cost, but shouldn't be a lot.)

Me? I'd be knocking on my solicitor's door, very early in the morning.

Er ..... how high is this wall, next to the road?

602 (That was my "last three")
w3526602

Postby Roblewis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 pm

I smell a vendor who was aware that the neighbour was likely to try this and that the boundary had been an issue. You need to talk to your conveyancer pronto.
Roblewis

Postby syl2 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:17 pm

Get photos from Google maps - if you're lucky you'll have aerial shots and ones from one the ground.
syl2

Return to Hedges