HELP... Neighbours cutting our plants down

HELP... Neighbours cutting our plants down

Postby MadCol03 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Our neighbours keep cutting out plants. This would not be an issue if they only trimmed the branches on our trees and shrubs that were overhanging into their garden but they reach up to a metre into our garden and cut the tops off them. This has been an ongoing and we have tried writing to them and talking to them when they are in the garden. They completely ignore us.

We recently came back from holiday to find that they had cut about a metre off the top of our bamboo, cut the top off an apple tree (about 30cm), completely devastated 2 established lilac bushes, a buddleia and a rhododendron. Out patience with them had been exhausted so we called the police to report it. The police constables that came round were really nice about the whole thing, took it very seriously and asked us what we wanted them to do. They offered to file a charge and arrest them or mediate. We asked them to do the latter.

However, when they went round to our neighbours they received a barrage of abuse. One of the constables was going to arrest them on the spot and said to us that he had never received such hostility from anyone, despite having worked some pretty rough shifts around the local pubs. We asked them to leave it over the weekend and try later and the constable said he was going to get advice from his Sergeant.

They went around again 5 days later and received the same rudeness and hostility. The police came back to us and said that we would get nowhere by trying to talk to them and that the constable would be more that happy to arrest them. We said that this would not help the situation and so the police have left it in our hands.

What do we do now though? Having them arrested is unlikely to make any difference and could lead to an even worse relationship between us but we want them to stop cutting down our plants. We were advised to send them another letter by registered mail but this is not going to resolve anything either. If they are determined to make out lives a misery what options do we have left?

We would really appreciate and ideas or advice that you have.

Many thanks,

C & N
MadCol03

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: HELP... Neighbours cutting our plants down

Postby despair » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Is there a fence ?

If so what height is it ?

Do you know why your neighbours think they can cut your plants ?
despair

Postby MadCol03 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:45 pm

There is a stone wall, which makes the boundary. The wall is on our property with the plants on our side of the wall. The wall is about 30cm in depth and about 1m in height, so they have to reach over to cut our plants.

I have no idea why they think they have the right to cut our plants, they just do it. I am almost sure that they know it is not allowed.
MadCol03

Postby TO » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi

Let the Police deal with them.

If you think it might sour relations don't worry, by the sound of it they're sour already, and you have had no success in stopping them so far.

TO
TO

Postby despair » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:05 pm

I too would let the police press charges but also i would build that wall up to 2 metres if its not adjacent to a pavement or highway
despair

Postby MadCol03 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:45 am

The wall can't be altered as its part of the curtailment of our Grade-II listed property, hence the need to erect a fence.

I am starting to think that we have no alternative but to press charges :(
MadCol03

Postby despair » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:49 am

I think your only option is to press charges

oiks like these need teaching a lesson in manners ............sadly theres too many these days who think they can do what they like without any consideration of others
despair

Postby Mojisola » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:00 pm

It's so rare to find the police are willing to act in situations like this that the neighbours must be awful! I, too, think your best option is to press charges.

I can see that there's a worry that it might make them worse but backing down might encourage them to do even more damage to your garden. If they think you're not going to stand up for yourselves, their behaviour could get even worse.
Mojisola

Postby Sudynim » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:21 pm

MadCol03 wrote:Our neighbours keep cutting out plants. This would not be an issue if they only trimmed the branches on our trees and shrubs that were overhanging into their garden but they reach up to a metre into our garden and cut the tops off them. This has been an ongoing and we have tried writing to them and talking to them when they are in the garden. They completely ignore us.....

What do we do now though? Having them arrested is unlikely to make any difference and could lead to an even worse relationship between us but we want them to stop cutting down our plants........

Tell the Police you wish to instigate a criminal complaint. These people need a sharp lesson in their civic duties.
Sudynim

Postby appledore » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:49 pm

Mojisola wrote:It's so rare to find the police are willing to act in situations like this that the neighbours must be awful! I can see that there's a worry that it might make them worse but backing down might encourage them to do even more damage to your garden. If they think you're not going to stand up for yourselves, their behaviour could get even worse.

It is rare! Our neighbour has cut down our fence and is preventing us from erecting another one, but the police say it's a civil matter.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby despair » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Thats rubbish its criminal damage
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:07 am

I agree, press charges. When the police are willing to help on these rare occasions, grab that help with both hands, because you will find you are one of the lucky ones if the police take this seriously...as they should do.

Also record the abuse in case you end up taking them to court.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges