Privet Hedge Problem

Privet Hedge Problem

Postby apb123 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:13 am

We have a very long privet hedge down one side of our property. The new neighbour has employed an old man who basically hacked the hedge back to the very edge of the boundary. The boundary is on the left side of the house and is the responsibility of our neighbour however the hedge is ours.The hedge is about 50 m long.

What has happened is that the hedge has been cut back to the very edge of the boundary, but not over the boundary. My neighbour asserts that it is his right to cut it back to the boundary. However we are now left with a hedge that I think is completely died. There is no leaves on it and it is completely see-through I can basically see directly into my neighbour’s garden and he can see into to our garden. Before he cut it back we couldn’t see anything through the hedge.

I have no idea why he has done this because it seems to be to his detriment as much as ours.

What are our rights here?
apb123

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Privet Hedge Problem

Postby despair » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:20 am

Your neighbour had every right to cut back the hedge to the boundary because its trespassing

However Privet is tough as old boots and will quickly regrow

Maybe if you offered to be a good neighbour and keep his side well trimmed whenever you do your own happiness from both sides might arrive
despair

Postby appledore » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:43 pm

I would expect the hedge to grow back quickly, and be even thicker than it was before. It would be neighbourly to offer to cut your neighbour's side of the hedge.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby span » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:45 pm

Privet? You couldn't kill that stuff with a flamethrower!
span

Postby Roblewis » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Or even a Dante Inferno of a bonfire - got the badge :D :D :D
Roblewis

Return to Hedges