Cutting hedge, neighbours on holiday, so can't clear debris

Cutting hedge, neighbours on holiday, so can't clear debris

Postby littlemissterious » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi All,

I'm new here, but would like to find out where I stand re. cutting my hedge.

The hedge is in my garden and desperately needs trimming on my side and across the top of it. I have people coming to do it in the next few days, when they can fit me in, but my neighbours have gone away on holiday (without letting me know) - I have just found out from other neighbours that they are actually away for a fortnight, but have a friend coming in with a key to open up and water their plants (who, incidentally, I saw this morning in their garden doing exactly that)

Last time I had the hedges cut a year ago, they they a hissy fit that some leaves and twigs blew into their pristine, concreted gravelled garden and on to the lean-to roof that goes up to my boundary and made me go into their garden and clear the mess (if you can call it that - it was literally a few twigs and leaves!)

I sent a text this morning to say I am having the hedges cut in the next few days, and is there any way we can gain access to their garden to clear the mess for them. She just phoned me back, wanting to know exactly when I was having it done but said they didn't have to tell me when they were back from holiday. I mentioned that their neighbours told me they had a friend coming in to water their garden, she said that was not the case (blatant lie, as I saw the friend in the garden this morning!) and that we couldn't have access. She said that I would have to have the tree-cutters come back again to clear up the mess in their garden when they got back from holiday. I said I didn't think they would do that, so she then said I would have to go around and clear it up myself, then. I ended the conversation with 'oh well, I tried'

Where do I stand re. clearing of debris from their garden, if they won't/can't provide access when work is being done? I don't want to have to re-book the hedge cutting, but do I have to arrange for it to be done when they are home - it is only my side and top that is being done? Nor do I want to have to pay them to come back and clear leaves from neighbouring property, but am not hapy to have to go sweep their garden myself - do I have to do this, legally??

Any help/advice would be gladly received - I hate this sort of dispute and don't know why they have to make life so difficult when I'm just trying to do the right thing!
littlemissterious

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Cutting hedge, neighbours on holiday, so can't clear deb

Postby katee » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Hello Littlemissterious,

I would suggest you have the hedge cut as arranged.

If the neighbours have a problem with any mess when they get back, let THEM sort it out with the contractors.

It sounds like a control issue to me :roll:

Don't let their belligerence get to you!
katee

Postby despair » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:15 pm

Good tree surgeons will cut the hedge so the debris does not fall on the neighbours side

or they will willingly come back and blow and clear the mess later

Whilst i fully understand the neighbours annoyance at any mess i do think with a neighbour as considerate as you they are being mighty difficult
despair

Postby arborlad » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:31 pm

What sort of hedge is it, one cut a year is not normally sufficient.

Who cuts the neighbours side of the hedge?

I'd be inclined to put off the contractor until the neighbour returns and then arrange a date to suit, although I get the impression they might be 'out' on that date, are there any other issues?

Dust sheets are great for cutting hedges alongside shingle/decorative stone.
Last edited by arborlad on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby arborlad » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:35 pm

despair wrote:Good tree surgeons will cut the hedge so the debris does not fall on the neighbours side

or they will willingly come back and blow and clear the mess later

Nonsense alert :roll:
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby appledore » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:17 pm

I'd arrange another date with the contractor. Your neighbour obviously doesn't want the contractor in her garden while she's away, and I can't see the contractor coming back to clean up the mess afterwards.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby Sudynim » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:59 pm

littlemissterious wrote:Last time I had the hedges cut a year ago, they they a hissy fit that some leaves and twigs blew into their pristine, concreted gravelled garden and on to the lean-to roof that goes up to my boundary and made me go into their garden and clear the mess (if you can call it that - it was literally a few twigs and leaves!).........

Where do I stand re. clearing of debris from their garden, if they won't/can't provide access when work is being done? I don't want to have to re-book the hedge cutting, but do I have to arrange for it to be done when they are home - it is only my side and top that is being done? Nor do I want to have to pay them to come back and clear leaves from neighbouring property, but am not happy to have to go sweep their garden myself - do I have to do this, legally??

No, you don't have to do it. Your neighbours are being utterly silly and should be politely ignored.
Sudynim

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges