The good old hedge and fence height question

The good old hedge and fence height question

Postby bugbear » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:09 pm

To one side of our property The boundary is marked in one part by a lap fence (approx. 6ft in height) on the neighbours side and the side of ownership there has been various shrubbery maintained below the level of the fence. Weed and bramble have often started to invade but have been dealt with by the neighbours or ourselves by mutual understanding. This has been an unwritten agreement going back over some 25 years. Our original neighbours sold and the current neighbours apart from wishing to build a an extension running half way down our small garden, have now told us they wish the shrubs on their side of the fence to be left to grow and not be cut. Currently the height over and above the fence is an extra 3 foot, through which grows brambles and weed. Can anyone advise this timid chap as to rights, heights and the law or at least precedent. My thanks
bugbear

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: The good old hedge and fence height question

Postby despair » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Sorry but unless these shrubs are evergreen or mainly evergreen and the effect on your light in habitable rooms comes under the auspices of the High Hedge Law theres nothing you can do

You simply have new neighbours who want towering shrubs irrespective of how you feel about the situation
despair

Postby bugbear » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:40 am

my thanks for this 'despair'.......a clear expression of how I feel........add to this low flying aircraft, taken for the pleasure of one or two over the unasked heads of the many and roar of motorbike engines on a summers morn, ridden by the few to the annoyance of the many, in this part of the country at least, and one finds the reason for the decline of real peace of mind. Heigh ho! The weekend approaches and I look forward to taking a 'city break' for that slice of tranquility!! To paraphrase William Collins: "Love of Peace, and lonely musing, In horrendous motors died away"

Onwards and downwards.
bugbear
bugbear

Postby TO » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi

despair wrote:Sorry but unless these shrubs are evergreen or mainly evergreen and the effect on your light in habitable rooms comes under the auspices of the High Hedge Law theres nothing you can do. You simply have new neighbours who want towering shrubs irrespective of how you feel about the situation

This is just wrong. The high hedge legislation is not just about light to habitable rooms, whatever they are, there are many more reasons than just this to justify reducing a high hedge. Rubbish such as this may well be believed and so deny people the opportunity to make valid complaints, and get the relief they're entitled to.

TO
TO

Postby despair » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Do please then advise exactly what criteria is used and followed if high hedges affect gardens and other rooms because i have yet to hear of succesful cases
despair

Postby Treeman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:55 pm

despair wrote:Do please then advise exactly what criteria is used and followed if high hedges affect gardens and other rooms because i have yet to hear of succesful cases

Why don’t you just do the research yourself? I would have thought it behove someone so prolific and emphatic in hedge advice to know the detail of the subject.
Treeman

Postby despair » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:03 am

Since it seems each council varies in how it applies any criteria its somewhat pointless bothering add on the high charges many councils are making to administer the HH Law too many people are put off trying to use it or simply cannot afford to

The whole thing needs to be properly reassesed as was supposed to happen in 2010 and the system made transparent and simple to understand and administer
despair

Postby Treeman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:24 pm

despair wrote:Since it seems each council varies in how it applies any criteria its somewhat pointless bothering add on the high charges many councils are making to administer the HH Law too many people are put off trying to use it or simply cannot afford to

The whole thing needs to be properly reassesed as was supposed to happen in 2010 and the system made transparent and simple to understand and administer

So in other words can’t be bothered and quickly change the subject (as usual).

So disappointing.

It only seems they apply the criteria differently because you probably don’t know enough about it. You would need to be involved in quite a few appeals over several authorities, how many HH processes have you been involved in?
Treeman

Postby despair » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:09 pm

Since www.hedgeline.org has been updated thats a start
As said on there the BRE guidelines are a mockery and do not face the issues so many hedge victiims are confronted with

The effect on my garden of my neighbours hedge was horrendous but totally dimissed by my TO as were many others in my area ................some tree officers consider all hedges and trees no matter whaqrt height they are and what dire effect they have on a lovingly attended neighbours garden to be irrelevant

Drought stress is affecting many previously healthy trees , hedges and shrubs so hopefully this will force some hedge growers to think again
despair

Postby Treeman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:45 pm

despair wrote:Since http://www.hedgeline.org has been updated thats a start
As said on there the BRE guidelines are a mockery and do not face the issues so many hedge victiims are confronted with

The effect on my garden of my neighbours hedge was horrendous but totally dimissed by my TO as were many others in my area ................some tree officers consider all hedges and trees no matter whaqrt height they are and what dire effect they have on a lovingly attended neighbours garden to be irrelevant

Drought stress is affecting many previously healthy trees , hedges and shrubs so hopefully this will force some hedge growers to think again

So none then?
Treeman

Postby despair » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:26 pm

I dont have the money to waste even filing a HH complaint in the first place because the fees in my area are astronomical

If they were reasonable I would file a complaint and follow through with an appeal but I know what the upshot would be judging by the other results that i do know about
despair

Postby Treeman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:37 pm

So none then and yet you see fit to dispense such emphatic advice on the subject.

A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing.
Treeman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges