Ovrhanging brambles

Ovrhanging brambles

Postby phlyran93 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:19 pm

The back of our garden borders with a large field which is being sold as individual plots for houses. Some houses have been built but the plot which overlooks our garden has not been developed. Behind our fence is a huge hedge made up of brambles. The section is so overgrown that huge branches with thorns are growing over and through our fence. When I tried to trim back the hedge the other day I got tangled up in the thorns - not a pleasant experience. Part of our fence has already been pushed into the garden and the owners are just ignoring our request to trim back the brambles even though they have the machinery to do something about it. We have asked the local council to mediate on our behalf but they have stated that it is nothing to do with them. I understand that I cannot go onto their land to trim the hedge as this is trespass. What can I do? Is a solicitors letter the only option?
phlyran93

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Ovrhanging brambles

Postby despair » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:24 pm

A solicitors letter will merely cost you money and probably acheive nothing

Given leather work gloves and a good pair of loppers cutting back brambles is easy ........cut them back to your fence than remove the fence panels that are being pushed over then you can legally hack back every shred of bramble that crosses the boundary

Then restore your panels using screws or those little metal plates so you can easily remove them at will

If you wait a few weeks before cutting back you can enjoy a load of blackberries
despair

Postby appledore » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:40 pm

It must be a good year for brambles. We have lots poking through our hedge from the adjacent field. We just keep cutting them back.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby Sudynim » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:55 pm

phlyran93 wrote: the owners are just ignoring our request to trim back the brambles even though they have the machinery to do something about it. We have asked the local council to mediate on our behalf but they have stated that it is nothing to do with them. I understand that I cannot go onto their land to trim the hedge as this is trespass. What can I do? Is a solicitors letter the only option?

The only options are to accept it, or cut it back at your own expense. A solicitor can't make them do anything, AFAIK.
Sudynim

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:19 am

You can only keep cutting back really. A letter sent to the land owner via recorded delivery might make a difference. Point out that your fence is being damaged and that further damage after notifying them could result in you making a claim. They might laugh and throw it in the bin, or they might have a conscience and surprise you by cutting back.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Return to Hedges