Leylandii query

Leylandii query

Postby LittleTinka » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Hello all,

I have a bit of an issue with a neighbours hedge of leylandii, although not sure if they can be classed as a hedge because there are only 5 of them, planted pretty close, but now at tree height - they are I would think at maximum now.

Problem is, they are at the bottom of his garden, which my house is at a right angle to. The closest tree 'trunk' is about 4 metres at best from my actual house brickwork, but is only about 4 feet from my boundary hedge. The overhang from one of the trees is temendous and is a real eyesore of a view out of a bedroom. As these neighbours live about half a mile away in distance but a few feet as crow flies, I don't know them. I 'don't want to create a problem and am thinking of just popping round and trying to have a chat with them about it...but I would like a bit of back up in the form of what the legalities are, if any, regarding getting it cut back.

I had three of these monsters at the front of my house and it cost me £600 to get them out last year...don't have the money to look after theirs too : 0 )

Sorry for the novel...bit of a vent there.

Tinks
LittleTinka

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Leylandii query

Postby TO » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi Tinks

By the sound of it you have a chance of pursuing a high hedge complaint. Regards a high hedge this is defined as two or more evergreen trees or shrubs in a row. Despite my Comprehensive education even I know five is more than two. Good start. As long as they form a hedge and are not individual trees, i.e. you can see between them, then your off and running.

A high hedge complaint must relate to the problems you are experiencing because of the height of the hedge. Light to gardens and dwellings, overbearing, dominating your property, are good reasons, overhang isn't because you can cut it back anyway.

But, before you can bring a formal complaint to your Local Authority you must try and resolve the problem with your neighbour. So going and having a chat is a good start, if no satisfaction a letter, if no satisfaction a final letter saying you will complain to the Local Authority. If no joy go for it. Before you even go round, have a think about the problems you are experiencing, what will resolve them, and what you would be happy with. Also, keep notes of any meetings, date, time, what was said, outcome, etc, also, keep copies of letters you send. Getting your neighbour round for a coffee and a bun, or a glass of wine, to see things from your side may surprise them if they have no idea of the problems.

More guidance can be found here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndComm ... G_10029999

Speaking to your Local Authority Officer who deals with high hedge disputes should also be helpful.

Don't be put off by the despair mongers who may also post.

Good luck

TO
TO

Postby despair » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:31 pm

Do Leylandi have a max height of growth ? I somehow dont think so

I totally agree with TO it sure sounds from what you say that you have a very good chance of the High Hedge Law being on your side

Just be sure to follow the correct proceedures and send the correct letters ............there is more info on www.hedgeline.org along with the one TO has already correctly steered you towards
despair

Postby LittleTinka » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 pm

Hello TO,

Thank you for the really comprehensive reply.

I am pretty sure they can be classed as a hedge even though you can clearly see through them at trunk level (only because trunks were trimmed some while ago) whilst as soon as they get to the foliage part (I think my teminology may give away I'm not really au fait with all this :wink: ) then they are extremely dense. But they do run at an odd angle so don't know if they could argue they are not a hedge?

I do hope they are not as inconsiderate as they are appearing (they have recently put a chicken coop under the one closest to my house and thankfully the double glazing and not using that bedroom means its not too bad!) so I am truly hoping a chat will do it, don't relish having to get all formal...I have enough of an issue with chap on party wall side who takes down my fence and appropriates bits of garden. <sigh> I wonder if I give off an air of being a bit of a pushover.

Anyway, many thanks for your very helpful advice.

Tinks : )
LittleTinka

Postby LittleTinka » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:47 pm

despair wrote:Do Leylandi have a max height of growth ? I somehow dont think so

I totally agree with TO it sure sounds from what you say that you have a very good chance of the High Hedge Law being on your side

Just be sure to follow the correct proceedures and send the correct letters ............there is more info on http://www.hedgeline.org1 along with the one TO has already correctly steered you towards

Hello Despair,

I would have thought that there is a height beyond which they can't sustain - but am open to correction on that as I am not really an expert in any sense of the word - just can't get my head around a leylandii going on ad infinitum : )

However, thank you for the advice, I certainly hope I don't get to that stage of needing letters but I will document everything...will take a few photos too I think for clarity.

Many thanks

Tinks
LittleTinka

Return to Hedges