Advice please

Advice please

Postby missem » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:15 pm

when i moved into my house last year my neighbour TOLD me that the hedge between us was his property and i was not allowed to cut the top( and i never have). He had erected a small picket fence to the front of his garden which overlapped onto my garden because the hedge was rather wide and had grown out 3 foot or so from the root. He assumed he now owned whatever was behind this fence.. his side of the hedge, my side of the hedge and another few panels worth, he had been leaning over cutting anything on my side that got in his way. i read the deeds and in fact the hedge is shared.. i trimmed it up to the boundary line, he was obviously unhappy with this. i believe i am in the right, any advice? what should i do if he cuts into my plants again?
missem

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Advice please

Postby despair » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:18 pm

You can quite legally cut back everything to the boundary line no matter who owns the hedge

His fence should be his side of the boundary line (you can remove it and return it being careful not to damage it

He cannot under any circumstances touch your plants ..........he can only cut back strictly to the boundary anything which crosses the boundary
despair

Postby missem » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Thankyou very much.. he had an outburst today( i did not react) but if he causes any problems either by seeking legal advice ( or more like him, damaging my stuff) i will deal with it. i studied my deeds and read quite a few posts on here beforehand. This house used to be a rental property before we bought it and he got away with murder, again thankyou. Can u you suggest how i should react if i look out and he is leaning over the hedge cutting into my front hedge and plants (as he has done before) should i approach him and tell him to stop or call the police? just a bit nervous at the moment.
missem

Postby despair » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:09 pm

I suggest you print off a copy of my reply and shove it in his face

Better still install a 2 metre high fence of your own tight up to the boundary and his fence just be sure it tapers down to 1 metre near the pavement or road

then print off :-

A Neighbour CANNOT

1) paint or stain your fence
2) attach anything whatever to it
3) grow ivy or climbers up it
4) allow balls etc to be thrown at it
5) lean or pile anything against it

All or any damage done by the above will be 100% the neighbours responsibility and cost for repair/replacement

Get a fencer who is not frightened to tell the little aquirt next door where to go
despair

Postby missem » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Haha.. your reply brightined my day! thanks. I will sit tight and let him make the next move, i took some pictures from my side incase damage occurs again. Hopefully he will realise how silly he is being (tho i do not hold out much hope) x
missem

Postby arborlad » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:39 pm

missem wrote:Haha.. your reply brightined my day!

I'm glad it did, but if you follow the advice given, there's a good chance you will be losing land!
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby missem » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:41 pm

How so?
missem

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges