Conifer hedge and trimmings

Conifer hedge and trimmings

Postby gibby2009 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:52 pm

My neighbour refuses to trim her hedge on my side despite having previously allowed her gardner access.
Now the trim the tops and leave all cuttings in my garden. I have cut them back and as advised in a psot put them over her fence in a pile.

She has now started to dump these rotting branches behind my conservatory. somewhat annoyed I have thrown them back only to find them returned.

Advice please would be appreciated. As a matter of principle I have always thrown them away or hired a shredder, but this is getting worse as the trees get bigger :oops:
gibby2009

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Conifer hedge and trimmings

Postby despair » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:13 pm

Oh boy do i know that scenario

They cut their beastly hedge and throw all the cuttings your side

When you return their rubbish they dump them your side ..............its fly tipping and harassment

their trees are trespassing and while you can abate the trespass you must OFFER back the arisings which they can decline

you should not just pile them their side

Have you checked the High Hedge Law its possible you may be able to use this

You must carefully ensure you send the correct letters etc

you can find some help on www.hedgeline.org and also on governments Environment website
despair

Postby arborlad » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:16 pm

gibby2009 wrote: as advised in a psot :

which post?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Gazzar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:06 am

You are allowed to trim hedges back to the boundary as long as you offer back the cuttings or any fruits.

If the hedges are high, then the high hedges act can be initiated by the local authority but there is a process. Also the local authority may be reluctant to do anything but you can make them do something.

For high hedges the steps are as follows:-

1) Go to the BRE (british research establishment) website and download the spreadsheet which is used by local authorities to define high hedges and apply measurements.
2) Measure your garden, note the orientation and perform the calculations yourself to check if the LA can do anything. Note LA cannot instruct your neighbour to cut the hedges lower than 2M, whatever the spreadsheet calc returns.

3) Politely write to your neighbour and tell them that your hedges are having an adverse impact on your enjoyment of your garden.

4) After say 3 weeks, write a second letter being polite again.

5) Contact the LA and they will send you a leaflet that you can then send to your neighbour.

6) Pay approx £500 to ask the LA to make an assessment (remember you have already checked using the same calcs as they will use).

7) Let the LA contact your neighbour and they will ask them to cut the hedges.

8) You only have to pay the money once and the LA will keep coming back but before then the LA will issue a notice to your neighbour and they usually like to deliver it by hand.

9) The notice will give something like 6 months for them to cut the hedges.

10) You can sit back and relax the LA will handle it and will charge the neighbour if they dont comply.

11) The notice will come up on any LA search when they try to sell their property.

12) The notice is perpetual.
Gazzar

Postby TOTOO » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:42 pm

Gazzar wrote:
1) Go to the BRE (british research establishment) website and download the spreadsheet which is used by local authorities to define high hedges and apply measurements.

Wrong!

The BRE calculations do not define a high hedge and nor do they solely determine and actionable hedge height. The calculations are guidance only and many other factors are taken into account not only to determine a high hedge dispute but to determine the actionable hedge height.

The rest of your comments are also incorrect in the main. You need to show a history of dispute with your neighbor and exhausted all other avenues before engaging the Local Authority. Not just turn up with couple of letters three weeks apart.
TOTOO

Postby Sudynim » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:19 am

gibby2009 wrote:My neighbour refuses to trim her hedge on my side despite having previously allowed her gardner access.

She has no duty to cut your side, so this is a moot point.

gibby2009 wrote:Now the trim the tops and leave all cuttings in my garden. I have cut them back and as advised in a psot put them over her fence in a pile. She has now started to dump these rotting branches behind my conservatory. somewhat annoyed I have thrown them back only to find them returned.:

The best option here is to deal with it face to face. It avoids confusion and evasion, and one way or another you know where you stand. For example, she may think that you are dumping your own cuttings from your side of the hedge, and that she is entitled to throw them back.

Knock on her door, and ask her if she's aware that her gardener is dropping debris into your garden when he cuts the top of the hedge. You would prefer that the gardener stops this from happening, or at least clears it up afterwards. If that isn't possible, you will bag it up yourself and return it to her. Where would she prefer that you put it?
Sudynim

Return to Hedges