Hedge query ... my Neighbours is chopping my into my Shrubs!

Hedge query ... my Neighbours is chopping my into my Shrubs!

Postby ohmyshrubs! » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:51 am

Hello, Can you help?

One of my neighbours who's garden backs onto mine has been chopping into my shrubs. She is leaving all the debris on my side and actually leaning over the fence to chop into into them. We have asked twice to stop, but she does it while we are out at work. In addition, she has erected a new fence and left the old rotting one in place.

The shrubs were possibly around 5ft, and I would have been happy to top them off had she asked.

What are my rights should she do this again? and can I ask her to remove the old fence?

Many thanks.
ohmyshrubs!

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Hedge query ... my Neighbours is chopping my into my Shr

Postby Mojisola » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:19 pm

You can't do anything about the fences if they are both hers.

She can cut your shrubs if they go over the boundary. She has to offer you the trimmings but, if you don't want them, she has to dispose of them.

She cannot cut back over the border and has no right to reduce the height of them.

Put this in writing. Send it to her recorded delivery. Keep a copy and a record of who signs for the letter. See if that stops her.
Mojisola

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:40 pm

I agree, send her a letter recorded delivery.

If she doesn't stop and this is a problem neighbour, then take the matter to the police. You get neighbours who do this sort of thing for attention, so give her the attention she deserves if she commits criminal damage to your garden.

Your rights are the same as hers. She won't like you damaging things of hers, anymore than you like her damaging things of yours. It is underhanded to do this whilst you are out, why can't she speak to you?
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Sudynim » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:50 pm

ohmyshrubs! wrote:What are my rights should she do this again? and can I ask her to remove the old fence?.

She shouldn't be interfering with your plants. Ask her again, face to face and very plainly, to leave them alone. If she doesn't then you'll need to serve a written notice expressly asserting your ownership and refusing consent for pruning, and then catch her red-handed. CCTV is the simplest option for this.

You can't compel her to remove the old fence.
Sudynim

Return to Hedges