Saving conifers

Saving conifers

Postby sheilaleat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:40 am

We have moved into a new house. The conifers in the back garden along a fence were left to grow to about 20ft. We have cut them down to a manageable size of 8ft and trimmed the width. We have been left with a lot of brown areas where the sun hasn't been able to get to as they were so overgrown. I understand the growing season is coming to an end but what can I do to save my conifers for next year so they can grow to their full glory....... be aware I am a complete novice gardener so please try to explain in idiot proof language :D :D :D

Thanks for any help. Hate killing any kind of plants.
sheilaleat

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Saving conifers

Postby despair » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:31 am

I think you will find that if they have been cut back to bare stems or indeed light deprivation has caused loss of foliage theres nothing you can do
apart from which reducing conifers by more than a 1/3rd could result in the trees death

You will either need to try and grow something like clematis montana or ivy up them to cover the mess or bite the bullet and remove them altogether and replace with something less prone to such die back especially since drought conditions and harsh winters and conifer aphid have taken their toll on many conifers across the country

Treeman or arborlad may know differently but without photos its hard for anyone to advise
despair

Postby Mojisola » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:30 am

sheilaleat wrote:We have moved into a new house. The conifers in the back garden along a fence were left to grow to about 20ft. We have cut them down to a manageable size of 8ft and trimmed the width. We have been left with a lot of brown areas where the sun hasn't been able to get to as they were so overgrown. I understand the growing season is coming to an end but what can I do to save my conifers for next year so they can grow to their full glory....... be aware I am a complete novice gardener so please try to explain in idiot proof language :D :D :D

Thanks for any help. Hate killing any kind of plants.

Nothing. You're very unlikely to get regrowth from the old wood on conifers. I would remove them and plant something else.
Mojisola

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:14 am

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16415

arborlad advises that all the dead twigs be removed from the tree where it is brown bare stems, if you can trawl through the above thread. If you want to keep the trees and don't want to see too much brown dead stuff, you could plant climbing plants underneath to grow up the bare stuff and make it look pretty.

Clematis Montana was suggested as this particular clematis is quite rampant, but you could also try different things.

If you do this, can you post before and after photographs? I know it will be next summer before you might see any real improvement, but many here would like to know if these trees can improve and see the difference some other plants make to the bare stem showing. Rather than cut them down, see if you can change peoples minds about these trees a little.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Pro ... px?pid=132
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby despair » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:17 pm

Having had to cut through 4inch diameter roots that have spread 10ft across my garden from the pesky conifers nothing changes my mind about the beasts
Even 6ft away the roots are 2inches in diameter
despair

Postby arborlad » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:50 pm

sheilaleat wrote: The conifers .............

There's a wide variety to choose from, knowing which one would help with any advice given.

If it's Leylandii you've likely lost them, Thuja and you might have a chance.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Treeman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:07 pm

despair wrote:apart from which reducing conifers by more than a 1/3rd could result in the trees death

Nope thats wrong. I have persinally whacked 50 or 60% of the folar area off leylandii on many ocasions with no lasting dertiment
Treeman

Postby despair » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:49 pm

So why do the rules of the High Hedge Law claim that only 1/3 can be removed for fear of causing the trees demise

Obviously someone dreamt up the rule
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:09 pm

I think the rules were made up by the Leylandii tree committee , they are protecting their own interstes, for world domination. :mrgreen: :twisted:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Treeman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:10 pm

despair wrote:So why do the rules of the High Hedge Law claim that only 1/3 can be removed for fear of causing the trees demise

Obviously someone dreamt up the rule

I could answer that but when asked you always dodge the question so you need to do your own research.

Or you could just go with your default paranoia setting and leave it at that
Treeman

Postby TO » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 pm

Hi

despair wrote:So why do the rules of the High Hedge Law claim that only 1/3 can be removed for fear of causing the trees demise Obviously someone dreamt up the rule
What exactly is it you are getting at. Your post just doesn't make sense.

TO
TO

Postby despair » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:11 pm

TO

Treeman says he has cut 50% or 60% off conifers without any problem

If thats true why is it that the High Hedge Law says reduction of the height of these hedges can only be 1/3rd for fear of killing the conifers/hedge

Someone obviously came up with the 1/3rd rule what references etc did they use to make that stipulation
despair

Postby Conveyancer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:49 am

A government statement says:

"Section 69(3) of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 prevents local authorities from ordering works that involve reducing the hedge to below 2 metres in height or its removal. In our view (based on legal advice), works that would result in the death or destruction of the hedge amount to the same as removing it and so are outlawed under the 2003 Act... Within the constraints imposed by the legislation, it is for local authorities to decide what height the hedge should be reduced to whilst ensuring its survival...

We do not advise or recommend that Leyland cypress or other hedges can be reduced by one-third only. There is no one-third rule... the wide variation in circumstances means that it is not possible to apply such general rules of thumb.

It has been suggested that our guidance stipulates that only one-third of a healthy hedge can be safely trimmed. This is a misunderstanding. Rather, our guidance (paragraph 6.24) offers an example of how a healthy and vigorous hedge might stand more drastic cutting than an older specimen, to illustrate how the amount of cutting that a hedge can tolerate will vary according to the particular circumstances.

If a substantial reduction of the hedge is required to remedy the problems, it might be preferable to cut it in stages over several seasons.

If staged cutting was not feasible, the local authority might order the hedge to be cut to a height which left sufficient live wood and foliage to enable it to regenerate. Or they might consider alternative remedies to reducing the height of the hedge, such as more selective pruning to let more light through. We acknowledge that, in such cases, local authorities might be prevented from requiring action to the hedge that would provide a full remedy to the problems identified."
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.
Conveyancer

Postby despair » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:18 am

Many thanks Conveyancer
despair

Postby Treeman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:41 am

despair wrote:Many thanks Conveyancer

This is why I wanted you to do your own research, it would have been a first for you rather than regurgitating third hand here say.

This one third rule is a bit of here say you have picked up someplace and repeated as gospel ad nauseam.
Treeman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Hedges