can i plant conifers on agricultural land?

can i plant conifers on agricultural land?

Postby cjmilbank » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:56 pm

Last year we purchased 4 acres of agricultural land to graze our horses on. We are ready to submit plans for 4 stables and a sand school. We know that our neighbors who border the land will object. Is it 'legal' to plant conifers in said field to form a dense hedge??
cjmilbank

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: can i plant conifers on agricultural land?

Postby Treeman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:31 pm

cjmilbank wrote:Last year we purchased 4 acres of agricultural land to graze our horses on. We are ready to submit plans for 4 stables and a sand school. We know that our neighbors who border the land will object. Is it 'legal' to plant conifers in said field to form a dense hedge??

Yes
Treeman

Postby billy the kid » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:39 am

yes .many farms around here have done so but if any type of road junctions are around. the hedge would have to be very low indeed.

Regards,
billy the kid

Postby Treeman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:35 am

billy the kid wrote:yes .many farms around here have done so but if any type of road junctions are around. the hedge would have to be very low indeed.
Regards,

No it wouldnt
Treeman

Postby Geometer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:45 am

Can you not plant a traditional mixed native species hedge? It would be aesthetically more attractive, more in keeping with the agricultural nature of the landscape, and of much more benefit to your local wildlife.
Geometer

Postby billy the kid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:54 pm

What i should have said was the farm where i go and the neighbouring farms were told to keep the hedge very low where the road continues but at the same time forks left or right tightly as it was a dangerous combination.
Treeman i dont know if this is tree law/hedge law but they were strongly advised about that situation.

Hope it helped any, anyway.
billy the kid

Postby Treeman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:21 pm

billy the kid wrote:What i should have said was the farm where i go and the neighbouring farms were told to keep the hedge very low where the road continues but at the same time forks left or right tightly as it was a dangerous combination.
Treeman i dont know if this is tree law/hedge law but they were strongly advised about that situation.

Hope it helped any, anyway.

Told by who??

and

Its not law
Treeman

Postby billy the kid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:47 pm

Yes if its not law - ok (did i suggest it is against the law?)
Probably the traffic police (i presume) advised(or told)the farms to keep the hedge low at those points,(common sense)- wreaths and ribbons are on two key areas where the road arcs across itself like a continuous letter( r).
The hedges at these points are habitually trimmed right down by the farms.(leylandi hedges)

Only trying to paint the picture of what has happened around here. :(

Regards.
billy the kid

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges