lost boundary?

lost boundary?

Postby doni » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:25 pm

When we moved into our house 16 years ago, our neighbour had just planted a new hedge. His children were always running onto our land to get their footballs back, so he put up a fence on our side of this hedge to prevent this, the back gardens are very long and the back of the gardens obscured by bushes. It was only recently, when building a new shed that we discovered our back boundary (a concrete fence) extends into his garden by about 2 feet. So his 'hedge' was planted on our land and in fact the lady we bought from said all the hedges were put in by her,on her land.This wouldn't normally matter but now we think that he is planning to sell his back garden for development, while our garden is long it is only 50 foot wide. Our deeds state we are responsible for the hedge on our other boundary and the back, the old lady said she put the hedge up because there wasn't one. We have not raised this issue with our neighbour, although he has at various times said the old lady agreed to the placing of the hedge, as she was disabled and unable to walk more than a few steps it is most unlikely that she was able to walk more than 180+ feet to check. These comments at the time did not mean very much. However as it is more than 12 years I understand that the boundary is no longer considered 'ours' but is he allowed to profit from the sale of what we consider to be our land?
doni

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: lost boundary?

Postby zaax » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Sounds like a land grab. Lots of photos. Get the old lady to sign a statement (and witnessed) to that effect. Put a wire or two thought the old concrete posts. Check if you have legal cover - get some if you haven't. Write him a letter say that its your land. Prepare for an interesting life.
I know nothing about the law.
zaax

Postby jonahinoz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:47 am

but now we think that he is planning to sell his back garden for development,

He's got himself a dispute, hasn't he. That should give you breathing space while you sort out thye legal and moral "small print".

I doubt that anyone will buy the land without PP, and the Planners SHOULD advise you that they have received a planning application .... but strange things do happen. Ask to see any planning history on this site, and ask that your interest be recorded.
jonahinoz

Postby oorya » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:41 am

jonahinoz wrote:
I doubt that anyone will buy the land without PP, and the Planners SHOULD advise you that they have received a planning application .... but strange things do happen. Ask to see any planning history on this site, and ask that your [b]interest
be recorded.

Not necessarily, a bungalow next door to us was left to someone in a will and they then applied for planning permission to knock down the old bungalow and build two houses, one a metre from my boundary whilst the old bungalow was nearly 20 metres from my boundary.

The first I knew about it was when a neighbour further up the road that did some unpaid work at our local council asked us if we had seen a planning notice pinned to a lampost, which we hadn't and the local planning meeting was the very next day. :evil:
oorya

Return to Hedges