Hedge help please!

Hedge help please!

Postby Pablito » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Hello everyone, would be great to get some learned thoughts on a hedge related issue I am facing.

In a nutshell, following a successful planning application for a new care home, my neighbour (a farmer) took exception and planted 3 rows of trees (mostly evergreen but some I can't identify) right along the boundary of our property, even though his own residential property is over 100 yards away. Can I rely on the provisions of the legislation to keep these trees to a reasonable height?
Pablito

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Hedge help please!

Postby despair » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:46 pm

you need to look at the details of the High Hedge law to see if that would apply
despair

Postby Pablito » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:53 pm

I have had a look, and my only query really is whether a care home would count as a domestic property. I can't find anything definitive on this, but can't see why it shouldn't, as it is the permanent residence for all our patients. All the other parts seem to apply (2 metres high etc).
Pablito

Postby despair » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:16 pm

2 metres is not a rule its the minimum

theres a lot more calculations need doing to establish if you have a case plus you have to send all the correct letters etc

see www.hedgeline.org for some help plus the governments environment website
despair

Postby Treeman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:05 am

What are you calling a reasonable height? It seems your neighbour wants to screen out your proposed granny farm. How big is it going to be, have you considered the impact it will have from his point of view?

From his side of the boundary a reasonable height will be, whatever it takes not to have to look at your new build. Your point of view will presumably be that you want lots of light.

Perhaps considerate design would be in order, model the build so that the rooms overlooking that boundary don’t require high light levels or are temporary occupancy, I don’t imagine you gave the architect that brief or spoke to the neighbour before you put the planning application in. No surprise then that you got the reaction you did.

He is entitled to do with his land as he wishes within the bounds of the law, as are you. Weather you can use the HH legislation will depend on many factors so your question can’t be answered accurately, you will just have to wait and see.

Be aware that if the trees don’t do the job of screening that he clearly intends he could replace them with a nice modern agricultural building with a minimum of fuss under agricultural rights. Silage clamps, bale stacks and manure stores can also be placed wherever the farmer deems fit so have a care how you handle this.
Treeman

Postby Pablito » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks for the replies and advice.
Pablito

Postby syckend » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Treeman wrote:What are you calling a reasonable height? It seems your neighbour wants to screen out your proposed granny farm. How big is it going to be, have you considered the impact it will have from his point of view?

Sorry Treeman but your reference to a granny farm is an unpleasant and unnecessary description which mars your usually learned responses.
syckend

Postby Treeman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:00 am

syckend wrote:
Treeman wrote:What are you calling a reasonable height? It seems your neighbour wants to screen out your proposed granny farm. How big is it going to be, have you considered the impact it will have from his point of view?

Sorry Treeman but your reference to a granny farm is an unpleasant and unnecessary description which mars your usually learned responses.

And yet I stand by it, I don't say stuff I dont mean.

I do a fair bit of work for such institutions and the majority are run by good people employed by HUGE faceless companies that are only interested in meeting minimum standards and saving money.
Treeman

Postby span » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Well I thought it was funny. I'm going to use it in casual conversation the very next time I get the chance.

:D
span

Postby Steve Hancox » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:42 am

I thinkTreeman is spot on when he refers to the potential for future problems. It would be much better to talk to the farmer at this stage and try to reach a compromise regarding the trees and the design of your care home etc. Keep it friendly if at all possible!
Steve Hancox

Postby Sudynim » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:40 pm

span wrote:Well I thought it was funny. I'm going to use it in casual conversation the very next time I get the chance.

:D

+1
Sudynim

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges