Leylandii law on how near it can be planted to a house

Leylandii law on how near it can be planted to a house

Postby snorebear » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:50 am

My neighbour planted 3 Leylandii trees in the summer they are now waving around at 8ft. The furthest is approx 1m away the nearest 2ft 6 ins approx.

would be very grateful for any comments. thanks in advance. :?
snorebear

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Leylandii law on how near it can be planted to a house

Postby despair » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:52 pm

There is no Law on planting Leylandi even close to a house although its clearly very anti social that close

You can exercise your legal right to cut back strictly to the boundary all branches and roots but you must not kill or destabilise the trees
You can install a root barrier to block spread of the roots

If actual damage occurs you can put your neighbour on notice that they will be responsible for all damage after that date if they refuse to take remedial action

Unless the inticate details of the High Hedge Law can be used theres little other than appealing to your neighbours better nature you can do about the planting
despair

Postby Treeman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:56 pm

despair wrote:There is no Law on planting Leylandi even close to a house although its clearly very anti social that close

You can exercise your legal right to cut back strictly to the boundary all branches and roots but you must not kill or destabilise the trees

You can install a root barrier to block spread of the roots

If actual damage occurs you can put your neighbour on notice that they will be responsible for all damage after that date if they refuse to take remedial action

Unless the inticate details of the High Hedge Law can be used theres little other than appealing to your neighbours better nature you can do about the planting

If you install a root barrier it will prevent the tree forming a radial root pattern and thus become compromised (unstable)

Discuss.................................
Treeman

Postby despair » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Treeman ............your so darn clever you come up with an answer to the OPs problem
despair

Postby mr sheen » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:43 pm

Speak to them and let them know you are unhappy with the position of the trees and that you will be exercising your rights and keeping the roots and branches cut back off your land. If they do nothing write to them telling tham this.

You do not have to allow roots or branches to come onto your property both can be cut back to the boundary. If your neighbour has planted trees that need your land to flourish, they can only expect that you will protect your property.

If the trees are destabilised/killed by your actions of exercising your rights...they would have to take you to court and prove that your actions caused them financial losses and justify having planted the trees where they would not grow without access to your land and show the letter that you gave them informing them that you would be cutting back roots and branches that encroached onto your property and they decided to let them continue to grow despite you having notified them...making this eventuality not worth worrying about.
mr sheen

Postby Treeman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:26 pm

despair wrote:Treeman ............your so darn clever you come up with an answer to the OPs problem

It’s not clever it’s just a statement of fact, it’s quite an obvious concept but you just parrot out what you heard somewhere else often out of context and without much thought. Your “lycra” one size fits all approach to peoples problems has holes in it.

You ought to know by now that there isn’t a solution but at least it gives you the chance to “hear” your own voice once again.

It would be accurate to say is that the neighbour has every right to do what they want within the bounds of their property and the law and until it becomes an actionable nuisance there is nothing you can do.
Treeman

Postby despair » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:10 pm

The OP said the Leylandi were only planted in the summer ...........therefore the OP has every right to block their roots by whatever means they see fit

they also have every right to cut and offer back every single leaf /branch /needle that crosses the boundary

What we do not know is why the neighbour decided to plant such contentious trees
despair

Postby Treeman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:33 pm

despair wrote:The OP said the Leylandi were only planted in the summer ...........therefore the OP has every right to block their roots by whatever means they see fit

they also have every right to cut and offer back every single leaf /branch /needle that crosses the boundary

What we do not know is why the neighbour decided to plant such contentious trees

In my not inconsiderable experience of the owners of leylandii hedges they only have one purpose, they are used to screen out what the owner does not like. It is after all their single purpose
Treeman

Postby snorebear » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:58 pm

Thank you very much for all replies Treeman and Despair. I appreciate both sides of the coin. Obviously I am trying my best to see it from my neighbours point of view despite being extremely pessimistic that they will a problem in the future but how many years on will the house need underpinning or worse! I can remember going to a friend's house in the past and her garden backed onto a main road so she had planted Leylandii hedging to screen the traffic from being seen and the noise. In this circumstance I can see the advantage but in many other cases I really cannot see why people choose it.
snorebear

Postby despair » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:05 am

Sometimes Leylandi are planted in sheer spite

sometimes in blissfull ignorance of what a pest they can become

either way if they are planted on a boundary or that close to a building their height and spread in 10 years label which should be on them is ignored and so many problems ensue
despair

Postby Sudynim » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:08 am

mr sheen wrote:Speak to them and let them know you are unhappy with the position of the trees and that you will be exercising your rights and keeping the roots and branches cut back off your land. If they do nothing write to them telling tham this.

You do not have to allow roots or branches to come onto your property both can be cut back to the boundary. If your neighbour has planted trees that need your land to flourish, they can only expect that you will protect your property.

If the trees are destabilised/killed by your actions of exercising your rights...they would have to take you to court and prove that your actions caused them financial losses and justify having planted the trees where they would not grow without access to your land and show the letter that you gave them informing them that you would be cutting back roots and branches that encroached onto your property and they decided to let them continue to grow despite you having notified them...making this eventuality not worth worrying about.

Good advice. Install a root barrier now and keep foliage tightly pruned to the boundary.
Sudynim

Postby Treeman » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:33 am

mr sheen wrote:

That’s just not true is it?

Under what law would that justification be required then?
Treeman

Postby Treeman » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:42 am

mr sheen wrote:
If the trees are destabilised/killed by your actions of exercising your rights...they would have to take you to court and prove that your actions caused them financial losses

This is true, however the other side of that coin is the right to self abate nuisance, If the tree dies or falls as a result of cutting back to the boundary can you claim losses for the tree?

If it were unable to survive without commiting trespass it was surely doomed?

I have over the years shamelessly mullered and mutilated many trees shrubs and bushes in the name of abatement, I have yet to see one die from it, even the odd one where the entire stem crossed the boundary survived in some shape or other.
Treeman

Postby snorebear » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:28 pm

All comments above very helpful ....our only hope is to protect our property by putting a barrier of some kind to any roots taking hold on our side of the fence.
Personally if I was in my neighbours shoes I would uproot them now while the trees are still young trees and not a problem now he will suffer more than us as they are not even a foot from his living room wall. As far as I am concerned putting up with these trees for me is a high price to pay for peace!
snorebear

Postby despair » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:38 am

1ft from his living room wall ............what an idiot

Install a really good root barrier fast and continually cut back all foliage to the boundary

do remember to offer back the trimmings
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Hedges