My hedge, neighbours side!

My hedge, neighbours side!

Postby ruralhedgeowner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:57 pm

I wonder if anyone can help me with who is responsible for cutting my hedge on my neighbour side.

We live in a rural area and our hedge which is on the boundry line is a mixture of conifer and pyracantha is at the front of our house between us and our neighbour and runs for about 20 foot away from the house. We maintain our side to the height it was when we moved in and inherited the hedge which is about 12 foot high. Our neighbour hasn't cut her side at all and therefore it has now become too high for her to manage. She's now written us a letter asking us to cut 'her' side of the hedge because she can't get to her borders.

We are more than happy to cut the hedge down to a manageable size both sides, but if she doesn't maintain it we'll be in the same situation again in a few years time. Am I responsible for her side of the hedge?

Thanks
ruralhedgeowner

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: My hedge, neighbours side!

Postby Treeman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:07 pm

In a nutshell ..................no
Treeman

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:51 pm

ruralhedgeowner wrote:We are more than happy to cut the hedge down to a manageable size both sides, but if she doesn't maintain it we'll be in the same situation again in a few years time. Am I responsible for her side of the hedge?

You are not responsible. You are entitled to cut back what overhangs your land as you probably already know, if her side is an issue for you, then her willingness for you to cut it back would benefit you.

But if her side is of no consequence to you, just cut back what overhangs your side and let her do her side should she want it lowering/cutting back.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Mojisola » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Do you mean the top of the hedge or her side of it?

If it's the top, it's rather strange to only cut halfway. When we cut our hedges, we cut the top level. Our neighbour cuts the vertical side that faces into his garden.
Mojisola

Postby appledore » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:51 pm

We always offer to cut the other side of our hedges. Some neighbours are happy for us to do so, others would rather cut their side themselves. If you cut it down to a reasonable height on both sides it would look tidier, and it would be a height that suits you.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:57 pm

I think I read the post the wrong way round. If it is your hedge, no you do not have to cut the side facing your neighbour, but it would be the right thing to do if asked. Just to be neighbourly.

I would imagine a wonky hedge doesn't look very nice either.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby despair » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:47 am

Whilst legally you cannot be forced to cut your neighbours side of your hedge
Morally at 12 ft high its more than is reasonable height for most people and why not simply be neighbourly and offer to reduce the height to 8 ft and cut her side too

far better than to have illfeeling and upset because after all its your hedge and of no real benefit to the neighbour
despair

Postby Treeman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:49 am

despair wrote:Whilst legally you cannot be forced to cut your neighbours side of your hedge
Morally at 12 ft high its more than is reasonable height for most people and why not simply be neighbourly and offer to reduce the height to 8 ft and cut her side too

far better than to have illfeeling and upset because after all its your hedge and of no real benefit to the neighbour

How can you possibly KNOW that?
Treeman

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:01 pm

I get where despair is coming from, as some people are shaded by giant hedges they cannot easily deal with themselves, nor afford someone else to deal with for them…but…

Hedges provide beauty, often a home for birds and other wildlife and give privacy. Not all hedges shade the neighbour the other side, our hedge only shades our garden. I feel it is of a great benefit to both sides as we both gain privacy from it and we enjoy the beauty and the birds love it too. Our hedge is around 10ft, 12ft in places, so I feel I must stand up to that comment that a hedge would be of no benefit, it simply is not true.

Also I might add that some of us do not have a view of anything in particular, other than other houses. So a hedge gives both sides a view we would otherwise not have. The same goes for neighbouring trees, without them, we would have no view.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:12 pm

I get where despair is coming from too, but I agree with Will. I'd much rather look at a hedge as a fence. In my opinion a fence is a boundary marker and not an attractive garden feature. It takes a bit of effort to keep a hedge tidy, but the wild life it attracts and the privacy it gives makes up for that. .
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges