Neighbours insist we keep our hedge.

Neighbours insist we keep our hedge.

Postby duggat » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi, this is a long running boundary dispute with neighbours that want their cake and eat it.
They want the boundaries back to the deeds. We said okay but now they only want parts of the shared boundaries to the deeds!
Part of the shared boundary at the rear is our beech hedge which did have fencing behind it on their side but they have removed it bit by bit till only a run of about 8 feet remains which they cannot reach as it is between both our extensions.
They know the old fence is the boundary fence and we have previous statements from them acknowledging this.
They now are insisting that the hedge should remain and we are not to remove it. We had no plans to do this but it annoys me that they feel they can dictate over our hedge.
Also in our deeds it states that all shared fencing should be kept in order or replaced to keep the properties contained. This fence has clearly been removed by them and not replaced.
Question is; are we within our rights to remove this hedge if we feel it more secure to have fencing? They have numerous dogs, chickens and ducks and clearly the hedge is not a secure way of containing them.
duggat

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours insist we keep our hedge.

Postby despair » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Your neighbours removed the fence
Your neighbours reneaged on agreements
Your neighbours have DOGS and livestock

Its your neighbours responsibility to retain their dogs and their livestock

So I would tell them in no uncertain terms that either they retain their livestock and re instate the fence or you will indeed remove the hedge and install the ugliest fence going ..........nice your side but corrugated iron on theirs is one idea that springs to mind

Or install chain link fence or my pallets alternative their side of the hedge and grow that hedge to whatever height you like so long as it does not fall foul of the high hedge act

Some people simply do not deserve to have considerate neighbours........they have quite simply tried to bully you bit by bit into submission
despair

Postby hzatph » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:57 pm

I agree ... and as beech is deciduous I don't think you need to worry about high hedge law. Further, as it is your hedge they can't cut the top of it.

It is solely your neighbour's responsibility to contain their animals.
hzatph

Postby duggat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:25 am

Here's a thought.
What if we took a chainsaw to the hedge and took it down to around 3 foot? It is around 8 foot at the moment.
We then have not removed it. :lol:
It would pee them off big time that they have no privacy. It wouldn't matter to us as they have already spoilt our pleasure in our garden with other things.
They probably would then be forced to replace the fence.
It is just a thought at 4 am in the morning......one tends not to beable to sleep when you have neighbours like ours.
duggat

Postby despair » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:10 am

"when you have neighbours like ours "

boy do you have my sympathy

you have to weigh up what the retaliation will be when deciding what to do

To me the invasiion of their livestock is the main issue and if they refuse to control their livestock i would use any form of ugly fencing going their side of the hedge to prevent that being sure of course that its also your side of the boundary

if that fails then yes cutting the hedge down to 3ft is very tempting if you are sure they will hate the loss of privacy

At the end of the day they have no right to dictate what you do with your property
despair

Postby duggat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks Despair; your thoughts are noted.
Unfortunately we cannot get a fence on their side unless we do remove/reduce the hedge.
Even if they did not grieve the loss of privacy; they could not bare the loss of our hedge as it is a more natural feature which they like.
Also the boundary cuts at an acute angle on their side and from their living room window it is probably preferable to have a hedge dominate your view than a fence.
Started to think on the lines of Topiary but think it might be difficult with beech. :wink:
duggat

Postby despair » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Even if they prefer to look at a hedge they still need to contain their livestock

Chainlink or chicken wire fence on their side would do this and the hedge would grow through and hide it
despair

Postby COGGY » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi

You have my sympathy as we have troublesome neighbours and were extremely stressed by them. We too had many nights when we could not sleep. However we have decided they will not go away and we do not wish to move so we have to try to ignore them. In our case we are planning to fence our garden so that they cannot come round and plant bamboos to hide their ugly building. Bamboos have been recommended on this site. However you already have a hedge. Please do not be tempted to lower it. You will only have short lived satisfaction, then you will have to see them and you are better without seeing them. Should theIr livestock escape then report them (the owners not the live stock). I appreciate how stressful this is. Tell yourself you will live your lives and they are not worth worrying about. Good Luck. from COGGY
COGGY

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges