Natural hedgerow on my land

Natural hedgerow on my land

Postby Jimothy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi,

We live in South Yorkshire, our house is in a rural area with a typical country mud path running past our house about 6ft back from our back fence, separating our back fence and the path in this 6ft gap is natural hedgerow.

Our house deeds show that the hedgerow upto the path is actually our land, even though the fence stops 6ft back from the path (the fence itself is shown on the deeds too).

I'm wondering what the law is surrounding this natural hedgerow, it's not shown as a conservation area by our council or any such thing, but is there any law preventing people extending their fence and hence garden back to the actual boundary? Are there any bylaws or similar stating that such natural hedgerow should be kept intact?

Personally I would rather keep it intact, but there seems to be a recent trend of destroying it by a few houses along the path and this is why I am wondering, I suspect said people are planning to extend their garden back. The reason I ask if there are any laws preventing it is because when we were house hunting someone else told us the council had told them they had to leave 6ft also when they erected a fence on their property elsewhere in the district. It would also seem odd that the original builders wouldn't make maximum use of the land if they were allowed rather than leaving said 6ft.

Cheers,

Jimothy.
Jimothy

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Natural hedgerow on my land

Postby TO » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Jimothy wrote: is there any law preventing people extending their fence and hence garden back to the actual boundary? Are there any bylaws or similar stating that such natural hedgerow should be kept intact?
No. And by-laws are local so check with the Council. No national laws stopping the hedge removal.

TO
TO

Postby Mattylad » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:34 pm

On the other hand, the wildlife would be rather peed off :)
Mattylad

Postby Treeman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:36 am

Mattylad wrote:On the other hand, the wildlife would be rather peed off :)

That was a done deal when the planning consent was granted.

Homo sapiens doesn’t play well with others
Treeman

Return to Hedges