Can hedges change boundaries?

Can hedges change boundaries?

Postby oakdale » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Our neighbour says that a hedge which borders our garden is his. The ownership of the hedge is not clear. We have both been cutting the hedge but he is now claiming that we have no right to trim the hedge. The hedge was over 2 metres so we cut back the height and trimmed the hedge so it didn't obstruct our garden path. The hedge curves on to our property in several places where he has pushed the hedge over to create more space his side. My concern is, if we do not resolve this, can the boundary be affected?
Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks
oakdale

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Can hedges change boundaries?

Postby span » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Grub the hedge out asap, establish the boundary, fence it and plant your new hedge.

Without consulting your neighbour.
span

Postby Mattylad » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:34 pm

If you can identify where the boundary is you are entitled to cut back anything that overhangs it. Period.
Mattylad

Postby Sudynim » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 am

span wrote:Grub the hedge out asap, establish the boundary, fence it and plant your new hedge.

Without consulting your neighbour.

If you desire a long, bitter and expensive feud, this is definitely the way to go. Myself, I would follow Mattylad's advice - identify the boundary line (by agreement if possible) and then cut the hedge back to that line.
Sudynim

Return to Hedges