A neighbours garden at right angles to mine

A neighbours garden at right angles to mine

Postby basilh » Tue May 15, 2012 2:57 pm

On the right-hand side of my garden, halfway down, is the END of my neighbours garden.
The fence at that point was broken down by intruders coming from his garden to rob my shed.
He insists that I repair the fence immediately and my offer of 50/50 on the cost has been rejected out of hand by him.

1/. Am I legally obliged to have a fence ?
2/. If so what is the MINIMUM height required. I.e. 2 feet, 3 feet or 6 feet ?
3/. What is acceptable as a type of fence structure. i.e. "Posts and Wire".. or a complete fence panel, or what ?
There are no dogs running loose in my garden, they are fenced off in a section much nearer the house. :roll:
basilh

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: A neighbours garden at right angles to mine

Postby span » Tue May 15, 2012 3:12 pm

1. No.
2. No minimum. Have it as low as you like.
3. Whatever you like.

All those supposing that there are no covenants binding on you that say otherwise.
span

Postby mugwump » Tue May 15, 2012 3:15 pm

basilh wrote:1/. Am I legally obliged to have a fence ?

No

basilh wrote:2/. If so what is the MINIMUM height required. I.e. 2 feet, 3 feet or 6 feet ?

Immaterial, no fence required

basilh wrote:3/. What is acceptable as a type of fence structure. i.e. "Posts and Wire".. or a complete fence panel, or what ?

A couple of pegs to mark the line of the boundary are sufficient.

All the above are assuming that there is nothing in your deeds stipulating a requirement for a fence with height & construction requirements
mugwump

Postby Mattylad » Tue May 15, 2012 6:58 pm

I would be asking him what "he" is doing to prevent blaggers using "his" garden to rob you and if he is gong to replace his fence?
Mattylad

Postby despair » Thu May 17, 2012 10:15 pm

If burglars gained access to your house via your neighbours garden i would assume his security is a mess and i too would want to know what he is doing to resolve matters

barbed wire fence would be all i would install
despair

Postby basilh » Thu May 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Thankls for the advice gentlemen.. Appreciated muchly.. :roll:
basilh

Postby Treeman » Thu May 17, 2012 10:44 pm

despair wrote:If burglars gained access to your house via your neighbours garden i would assume his security is a mess and i too would want to know what he is doing to resolve matters

barbed wire fence would be all i would install

How does your neighbour owe you any duty of care to secure your property????

Look to your own security provisions........
Treeman

Postby hzatph » Thu May 17, 2012 11:21 pm

despair wrote:barbed wire fence would be all i would install

Hmm. Hope that is rhetorical as almost certainly would have public liability issues.
hzatph

Postby despair » Thu May 24, 2012 8:07 am

seems the OP cant win here

Burglars gained access to his house via the neighbours garden and decrepit fence and presumably an unlocked gate

If the OP installs his own fence tight to existing Arborlad will say its wrong to duplicate boundary features
despair

Postby Treeman » Thu May 24, 2012 8:59 am

despair wrote:seems the OP cant win here

Burglars gained access to his house via the neighbours garden and decrepit fence and presumably an unlocked gate

If the OP installs his own fence tight to existing Arborlad will say its wrong to duplicate boundary features

None of us can "win", it's the norm that people can approach your house, to gain access to most houses a burglar would need to open the gate and walk into the garden.

If they can't do that most domestic fences offer no security whatsoever from the least skilled burglar.
Treeman

Postby arborlad » Thu May 24, 2012 11:03 am

basilh wrote:The fence at that point ..................

Who owns that fence?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Anthony Westoby » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi all,

interesting, this, particularly for us, as we have a lot of 'right angled' gardens here.

Only last night, an old friend and I were discussing the problems caused by six foot fencing. i have always maintained that these relatively recent (in my lifetime anyway) additions to our boundaries actually cause more problems, as people do not communicate as they did in my youth and I'm sure imaginations run wild as folk surround themselves with more and more so - called security.

I was witness to a young burglar (he was surprised by an owner in a front lounge) he made his escape, carrying a VHS recorder, through a double glazed window, head first and subsequently scaled one six foot fence after another, going across many gardens to make his escape. despite a massive Police presence they didn't catch him that time. They actually caught him, some time later, in a garden adjacent to my own, hiding behind some Leylandii, after falling off my fence which had a flimsy trellis on the top.

Always preferable to barbed wire I think.

my Father always maintained there was no security better than a locked door.

TonyW.
Anthony Westoby

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges