Burnt my own hedge, neighbour claiming on insurance

Burnt my own hedge, neighbour claiming on insurance

Postby jimbob.uk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:58 pm

Hello,
I'm in a bit of a dilemma, I burnt part of the boundary hedging back in January, and after a couple of months I received a letter from my neighbours insurance company stating that I'm negligent for the burning of the hedging, and that they are seeking for compensation for replacement.

The hedges are actually within my boundary, the neighbour in question did not bother to put up a boundary fence, and used the hedge as their own boundary.

I have responded to the insurance company stating that the hedge was actually my property and that the claim is void as its not the neighbours property that's been damaged.

A couple of weeks ago, the neighbour decided to just cut down the hedging which I did not agree to, and build a 6 foot boundary fence. I am still receiving allegation letters from the neighbours insurance company to which I refuse to answer as, as far as I'm concerned, its my property and therefore if I burnt it, that's my problem.

So basically in a nutshell, my hedging, I burnt it, neighbour claims I've damaged their hedge (even though its actually mine! and within the boundary line) and I'm now having issues with their insurers.

Any help please?
Thanks
jimbob.uk

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Burnt my own hedge, neighbour claiming on insurance

Postby Mattylad » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Simply put - tell them to sod off!
Mattylad

Postby Sudynim » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:26 pm

Mattylad wrote:Simply put - tell them to sod off!

+1
Sudynim

Postby FrTed » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Counter claim for loss/theft/damage of your property (ie hedge).

The difficulty is going to arrive when the insurance company of your neighbour use the same counter argument

"prove it is your property".

Good Luck
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"
FrTed

Postby catapult1 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:54 pm

What eidence do you have that the hedge was yours? Just because it looks like it is yours doesn't mean it is.

Look on both yours and your neighbours deeds to see if it is mnentioned there.
My answers are not of a legal nature, only what I consider to be common sense.
catapult1

Return to Hedges